Brompton gear lever upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Considering how well designed the rest of the bike is, the gear levers are just awful.

Rattly and cumbersome to use.

Haven't even got my bike yet, and already I'm thinking about ways to improve the levers.

I'm going for the six speed, and would probably like twist grips. So a two speed on the left and a three speed on the right. But as it's indexed, I'm unsure about pull ratios etc and don't know what to buy.

While I'm buying the H type, the plan is to put wider, MTB riser bars on so I should have a little more real-estate on the bars to work with.

Anyone successfully done this? Or at least know the correct parts?

Thanks in advance.

Kell

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I find the gears relatively easy to use. The first ride was rather chaotic as far as the changes were concerned, but now it is easy... I would suggest using them for a bit first before trying the upgrade.

Andrew

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What?
The shifters on the 6 speed are just right. Try it first. The right fits yer thumb perfectly and the left does what it needs too. Light, simple, accurate. Shift grips are shite anyhow ....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find the gears relatively easy to use. The first ride was rather chaotic as far as the changes were concerned, but now it is easy... I would suggest using them for a bit first before trying the upgrade.

Andrew
This. They work just fine, love the way the RH shifter fits the thumb. Try it first before rejecting a proven part.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I've currently got an M3L on hire, so I know just how poor the shifter is.

I'm not so concerned with the left one if I'm honest, but the RH one just doesn't work for me at all. I find it difficult to get it into top gear without shoving it up with my knuckle.

Maybe my thumb isn't as dextrous as the rest of you. :laugh:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The Brompton gear levers definitely fall into the 'agricultural' category. If you haven't yet made your purchase, take a look at an 8-speed. The SA-8 is available with twist-grip shifter, and it's a joy both in the close-ratio gearing and in the lovely shifter.

http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/brompton/

brompton-ben8-09.jpg

rualexander

Legendary Member
I have a H type stem and riser bars on my brompton, see here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s-bars-on-an-h-stem.175132/#post-3558396
its a three speed but I have put a triple chainset on it, only the middle and inner chainrings are useable though and I change from one to the other manually by reaching down and moving the chain over, only possible while stopped of course!, some people have managed to put a front derailleur on a Brompton but I haven't got around to looking at that yet.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
+ 1 for the standard shifters being awful. Pain to work out which way to shift and the levers just feel cheap. I would have preferred a twister system. i have sram dual drive and love it (after i sold the Brompton and got my Jetstream).

Top Bottom