Brompton in Sheffield.....is 3 gears enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Just got back from Evans cycles in Sheffield where I've had a test ride of an M3L. Found a short hill round the back of Evans and it's definitely harder than I thought it would be/harder than my road bike. I mean I knew it would be harder than my road bike but was surprised how much so. But it was doable and I reckon the hill I found was comparable to anything on the longer commute which I would encounter. But if I do go for the 3 speed then I will do it direct through Brompton so I can ask for the standard gears to be lowered which I think is -12%.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Have plotted the commute on google maps. Start elevation 60m, max elevation 100m. Gain 36m in 3km.

XC26

As well as being terrain and functionality dependent, I think gearing is also quite a subjective issue. I switched back to hub gears from derailleurs some years ago now because I wanted the benefits of easier maintenance. Over time, I have become accustomed to their lower range and wider steps and can now go anywhere with them. More recently, I have taken a shine to single speeds, though more for simplicity and minimalism, than overall functionality. For me, 3 gears is plenty and I tend to operate them at slightly higher ratios than perhaps recommended. If you find hills difficult at first, having not cycled them for ages, it will get easier with practice as you become stronger and fitter.

Reactions: mjr

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Lol, not a snowflake. Middle aged Generation Xer.

I know sheffield is hilly but the big hills i could see seemed more on the outskirts where i wouldnt be going. Dont think from the train station to start of ecellshall rd seemed that bad.

Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe i need to test ride a three gear and a six gear. I want a new one.
I'm confused by your reference to the Ecclesall Road. Sheffield Uni is higher. It's a rise of about 20 metres to Ecclesall Road from Midland Station but about 65 metres to the Uni. (For using the bike in and about the town, I'd go for the 6 speed option if only to make the bike more versatile.)

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Route

Attachments

• IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 58

Julia9054

Guru
I went through the three or six gears debate with myself before I got mine. Went for 6 gears in the end as it wasn't a huge amount more money, I didn't want to regret it and I'm not clever/interested enough to fettle and modify after the event. Like you, i bought it with the intention of using for certain journeys only but who knows in the future (I've had it a month) - it's such fun to ride!

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Thanks, think I will go with the six and if it needs servicing more then so be it.

mitchibob

Über Member
36m in 3km sounds like doable on a 2-speed. However, as much as I love my 2-speed, I just got a 6-speed. The gear changes take some getting used to between 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 and back, but the slightly closer ratios certainly help with acceleration, and give me the granny gears I may need on some climbs (not required yet). I really wish I'd just got the 6 speed to start with. As much as I love the more direct feeling with the 2 speed, the slightly closer ratios on the 6 is better for me, and all round, more practical, although this could be 'new bike' feeling as well.

For most routes through London, the 2-speed is fine, and a good bit lighter than the 3 speed rentals with hub dynamos. But I don't carry my bike much as i love riding it, so that saving seems a little pointless. Moving from an 2016 M2L to a 2018 M6L, I'm not finding it any heavier to be honest.

I don't think you should just buy a bike for a particular small ride. Buy it for what you'll find yourself wanting to do with it once your get your riding legs back. I rented a brompton so that I could bail out of a ride to and from work if it was too much. But once it wasn't, I just got into the fun of riding a brompton to work. e.g always being able to drop guys on road bikes at the lights without even having to get out of the saddle due to less inertia, etc.

If you think you might get to love riding your Brompton, and ride more than that 3km... get the 6-speed.

ps. One thing... rear puncture on a 2-speed is slightly easier than on a 3 or 6 speed ... less pieces to worry about on 2 speed.

pps If you have Kojaks and have 4 punctures in 7 days, and then buy a CO2 inflator, you'll never get another puncture

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A Brompton does seem an expensive way of avoiding a 25 minute walk, in all fairness.
Personally I'd always go 6 speed if there's any chance at all you'll need them.

Top Bottom