Brompton in Sheffield.....is 3 gears enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maenchi

StoneDog
It's a climb up to park hill flats, re; your map, are they student accommodation now ? and depending on which route you go to Hallam you will encounter some steep gradients, I wouldn't like to ride the Sheffield streets with anything less than a full set of gears, ie; triple at the front 22/30/40 and 11~36 at the rear, or something similar, having the ability accelerate quickly could save your life on those roads.

alicat

Legendary Member
Just to possibly put a minor spanner in the works. Will you have somewhere secure you can leave the Brompton while you are on campus?

I love my Brompton to bits but wouldn't relish lugging it around all day while I was in classes. If I didn't have somewhere secure to leave it, I would probably get two cheap s/h bikes and keep one at each end of my journey.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
If the only part of the commute was the 30min walk i appreciate it may not be worth it. But i will have just over an hour on the train prior to that. Cutting 40mins a day off a 3hr commute will be worth it. Plus my train gets in at 8:30 and if i have a 9am lecture to teach I dont want to cut it fine.

Julia9054

Guru
2017-10-15 15.51.51.jpg
Turkish green! Here's my new bike enjoying a well earned pint.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just got to decide between ivory and turkish green now. ^_^
Why not have both?
97071461-7F67-4241-B090-8F2E96A1401B.jpeg

Good decision on the six speed btw.

Top Bottom