1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brompton in Sheffield.....is 3 gears enough?

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by Binka, 12 Nov 2017.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

A Brompton does seem an expensive way of avoiding a 25 minute walk, in all fairness.
    Personally I'd always go 6 speed if there's any chance at all you'll need them.

2. Maenchi

Maenchi StoneDog

It's a climb up to park hill flats, re; your map, are they student accommodation now ? and depending on which route you go to Hallam you will encounter some steep gradients, I wouldn't like to ride the Sheffield streets with anything less than a full set of gears, ie; triple at the front 22/30/40 and 11~36 at the rear, or something similar, having the ability accelerate quickly could save your life on those roads.

3. alicat

alicat Guru

Just to possibly put a minor spanner in the works. Will you have somewhere secure you can leave the Brompton while you are on campus?

I love my Brompton to bits but wouldn't relish lugging it around all day while I was in classes. If I didn't have somewhere secure to leave it, I would probably get two cheap s/h bikes and keep one at each end of my journey.

4. OP
    OP
    Binka

Binka Well-Known Member

If the only part of the commute was the 30min walk i appreciate it may not be worth it. But i will have just over an hour on the train prior to that. Cutting 40mins a day off a 3hr commute will be worth it. Plus my train gets in at 8:30 and if i have a 9am lecture to teach I dont want to cut it fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Binka

Binka Well-Known Member

And yes i will have an office to leave it in. Am a lecturer not a student.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Binka

Binka Well-Known Member

Anyway have decided on the six speed

Just got to decide between ivory and turkish green now. ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  7. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

2017-10-15 15.51.51.jpg Turkish green! Here's my new bike enjoying a well earned pint.

• Like Like x 4
  8. alicat

alicat Guru

Ooh, I'm feeling jealous. My Brompton was secondhand so I didn't get to choose the colour.

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

There is none more black

10. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Why not have both?
    97071461-7F67-4241-B090-8F2E96A1401B.jpeg
    Good decision on the six speed btw.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kell

Kell Senior Member

Looks like I'm too late to the thread, but I'd have also advised 6-speed.

Here's a handy chart to use:

23509505_10154843934676021_3444676570194450348_o.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Deafie

Deafie Über Member

Because it's not very far. Hardly worth unlocking the bike for. But if you're in a hurry.....