Brompton in Sheffield.....is 3 gears enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
will be commuting from the train station to Collegiate campus. I don't know sheffield but seem to recall there was a bit of a hill on the way there. I know sheffield has a reputation for been hilly but it didn't seem that bad? It's 1.5 mile distance. So was thinking of a 3 gear Brompton, possibly with the -12 gearing option? Alternative is the 6 gear one but added expense, weight, things to go wrong puts me off.

Guess I'm not overly fit, don't cycle much these days but do go to the gym weights/running/body pump a few times a week. Think I've lost my cycling legs though!

alicat

Legendary Member
Get 6 gears and it will future proof the bike.

Buy second hand and it will be cheaper than 3 gears new.

tyreon

...yeh,but think of the cycle ride downhill when you return!

You sound a young buck. What are you? A snowflake? (Apologies, only just found the word. Just joshin) Sample shame: walk 100 metres. No big deal.

Hope you make the right choice

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Six gears for 1.5 miles sounds like overkill to me, particularly as first on a six gear bike isn't that much lower than first on a three speed.

As if there aren't enough numbers in this post already, I would be thinking about the simplicity and lighter weight of a two speed.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Lol, not a snowflake. Middle aged Generation Xer.

I know sheffield is hilly but the big hills i could see seemed more on the outskirts where i wouldnt be going. Dont think from the train station to start of ecellshall rd seemed that bad.

Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe i need to test ride a three gear and a six gear. I want a new one.

Maenchi

StoneDog
It's not much of a climb from the station to collegiate campus, though the traffic can be busy, there used to be/maybe still is a cycle path, the hills are further off from your route:okay:

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Thanks. Am leaning towards the 3 gear. I'm never going to use it for other stuff, have got a ice recumbent trike for fun rides.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You could always put a larger sprocket on? The Hercules folder I acquired recently had served as a university bike in Sheffield complete with 3 speeds.

I had to drill one of the cotters out which had properly mangled itself. This might be a coincidence.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You could always put a larger sprocket on? The Hercules folder I acquired recently had served as a university bike in Sheffield complete with 3 speeds.
As far as I can see, Brompton fit 50tooth chain rings and 12-16tooth sprockets, so both smaller chain rings and larger sprockets seem possible, subject to spacings. Ordinary Sturmey Archer ±33% hubs usually recommend 2:1 ratios at most (but you can often disobey ;) ) and if that's true for Brompton, then 16inch wheels mean a theoretical lowest gear of 24" is possible which should get most people up almost anything, albeit slowly!

The sacrifice would be top gear of around 44" so it's a balancing act. I think the stock setup bottom gear on a Brompton 3 is around 42", for comparison, so you probably won't want to lower it to the limit.

12boy

Guru
If you go back through the posts you will find it is very possible and fairly cheap to add a second chain ring, especially if you buy a new bike with the replaceable chain ring. Although I have returned to one speed setup, I have used the second chain ring with both a 3 speed SA hub and the single. The standard tensioner allowed me to go with a 54 and 38 chain ring so as to have some bailout options. With the closeratio 3 speed and the 54/38 i could climb an 8% grade without standing on the pedals to do so. Of course, shifting is done with the "greasy fingers" manual shift. A 2 speed rear wheel and two chain rings up front is light, simple and inexspensive. Easily changed if you fancy a different set of gear ratios.

petek

Über Member
will be commuting from the train station to Collegiate campus. I don't know sheffield but seem to recall there was a bit of a hill on the way there. I know sheffield has a reputation for been hilly but it didn't seem that bad? It's 1.5 mile distance. So was thinking of a 3 gear Brompton, possibly with the -12 gearing option? Alternative is the 6 gear one but added expense, weight, things to go wrong puts me off.

Guess I'm not overly fit, don't cycle much these days but do go to the gym weights/running/body pump a few times a week. Think I've lost my cycling legs though!
5 speed minimum for Sheffield. Especially if you visit, as you should; the most excellent Ashram Cafe at the top of Spital Hill ( on your right just before the mosque).

Top Bottom