Brompton in window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
. my main concern is getting my own excess weight off. That would enable me to climb better,and travel further and faster. In the meantime I will continue plodding on.

I'm fully with you... there's plenty more I can remove from my own bodyweight healthily before forking out on anything particularly more lightweight on bike components becomes value for money on the W/kg saving scale. I justify the titanium seatpost mostly due to possibly reading on here that it'd help smooth things after going for super-firm suspension (plus, it was pretty cheap), not just that it's a good 300g lighter than original and pentaclip. Still, there's more kilos to be lost elsewhere for me, and even cheaper than that seatpost (why is beer so good?)

tinywheels

Über Member
still hauling my lardy ass all over East Sussex, Eastbourne pit stop then back to Hastings. Save weight, nah,load up on cake n coffee say I.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I bought a superlight S1E-X some years ago, 30% out of wanting a second less heavy version of the S6L I already had, 30% out of curiosity, 30% out of wanting a summer commuter and 10% from the N+1 thingy.
The first two things I noticed immediately was hugely improved comfort, and secondly, did it shift or what?
It was at that point I decided I wanted to do a working project to see how light I could get a Brompton to be.
Over the years, most components and almost every bolt and nut has been changed for a ti equivalent. I also experimented with different chainsets, but found nothing lighter than the standard Brompton version that actually worked.
I get a little frustrated when I see Ti Bromptons that've been dynamo'ed, 6-speeded, racked and mudguarded to bu##ery, as for me it defeats the object.
It weighs 8.9kg and is an absolute joy to ride. It flies off the lights, and normal commute average speed through N. London back streets is usually 14-15mph, compared to 12-13mph on the 6 speed.
I'm going to try to post some pictures on 'Let's See Your Folding Bike' now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I bought a superlight S1E-X some years ago, 30% out of wanting a second less heavy version of the S6L I already had, 30% out of curiosity, 30% out of wanting a summer commuter and 10% from the N+1 thingy.
The first two things I noticed immediately was hugely improved comfort, and secondly, did it shift or what?
It was at that point I decided I wanted to do a working project to see how light I could get a Brompton to be.
Over the years, most components and almost every bolt and nut has been changed for a ti equivalent. I also experimented with different chainsets, but found nothing lighter than the standard Brompton version that actually worked.
I get a little frustrated when I see Ti Bromptons that've been dynamo'ed, 6-speeded, racked and mudguarded to bu##ery, as for me it defeats the object.
It weighs 8.9kg and is an absolute joy to ride. It flies off the lights, and normal commute average speed through N. London back streets is usually 14-15mph, compared to 12-13mph on the 6 speed.
I'm going to try to post some pictures on 'Let's See Your Folding Bike' now.
Interestingly, Steve owner of Warlands in Botley, a proper bike shop and long time Brompton dealer reckons Ti is only worth it for touring where it adds notably to the ride comfort. These days the weight difference between an S2E with or without Ti is bugger all and new generation tyres help a lot with comfort too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Interestingly, Steve owner of Warlands in Botley, a proper bike shop and long time Brompton dealer reckons Ti is only worth it for touring where it adds notably to the ride comfort. These days the weight difference between an S2E with or without Ti is bugger all and new generation tyres help a lot with comfort too.
I’m not a “ proper “ cyclist in that it’s only in the last few years that I’ve taken it up. That means that I can’t compare riding my Brommie with riding a conventional road bike, but I can compare riding my M6R with riding my CHPT3. I love them both and find there’s more difference in the feel of the bikes than simply looking at the comparative weights might suggest. Having read about the difficulty of fixing a rear tyre puncture I was a bit paranoid and fitted M+ tyres on my M6. This was my only bike at the time and I really enjoyed riding it. Last year I swapped the M+ tyres for Continental Urbans, and I feel they do make for a considerable improvement in ride quality.

12boy

Guru
Mine weighs 25 lbs. I have a leather saddle and Ergons and 2 way SPD/flat pedals. I put some Marathon Racers on it, and it feels pretty perky to me. I ride it for joy and exercise and it is my favorite of my bikes. I have always wondered why they are not made of Chromo steel which could probably save as much weight as Ti extremities, at much less cost.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’m not a “ proper “ cyclist in that it’s only in the last few years that I’ve taken it up. That means that I can’t compare riding my Brommie with riding a conventional road bike, but I can compare riding my M6R with riding my CHPT3. I love them both and find there’s more difference in the feel of the bikes than simply looking at the comparative weights might suggest. Having read about the difficulty of fixing a rear tyre puncture I was a bit paranoid and fitted M+ tyres on my M6. This was my only bike at the time and I really enjoyed riding it. Last year I swapped the M+ tyres for Continental Urbans, and I feel they do make for a considerable improvement in ride quality.
The S2E on Conti urban contacts is a very different animal to my S6R with SON and M+. chalk and cheese! The stripped-back 2 speed is a hoot!

Top Bottom