Brompton (low mounted) front lamp and road spray?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SA3BR

Hello.

It is so long since I had a (non-Halogen) front dynamo lamp in the standard low mount on a Brompton that I can't remember if it was prone to getting splattered in road spray......
I ask because (after a battery only period) I have fitted a roller dynamo in Maus style (runs along top of tyre (like a mouse)) meaning my front lamp is currently mounted to right mudguard eye which places lens adjacent to tyre: and it gets splattered in mud etc....

I saw lots of low Edeluxs/Lyts etc on Fnrttc rides so does this mean spray is not a problem due to mudguard?

I could move the lamp to bars but then it illuminates any luggage a bit.

si_c

Guru
Hello.

It is so long since I had a (non-Halogen) front dynamo lamp in the standard low mount on a Brompton that I can't remember if it was prone to getting splattered in road spray......
I ask because (after a battery only period) I have fitted a roller dynamo in Maus style (runs along top of tyre (like a mouse)) meaning my front lamp is currently mounted to right mudguard eye which places lens adjacent to tyre: and it gets splattered in mud etc....

I saw lots of low Edeluxs/Lyts etc on Fnrttc rides so does this mean spray is not a problem due to mudguard?

I could move the lamp to bars but then it illuminates any luggage a bit.

I'm guessing that the mudguard being in close proximity to the lamp does keep it very clean compared to not having it present.

I don't ride a Brompton but I do run a dynamo hub and light and on my current bike with close fitting mudguards there is never any dirt on the lamp however on my old bike where the light was mounted to the handlebars the light needed cleaning once a week or so in winter even though I was using mudguards.

ukoldschool

I have the standard rechargeable brompton branded cateye on top of the mudguard and never have a problem with mud, and its pretty wet here in London :smile:

OP
OP
S

SA3BR

Thanks. On further thought I think the roller is probably generating lots more spray than just the plain wheels as I had to make a little mudguard for it to stop it spraying all the way up the front luggage to bars....

mitchibob

Über Member
I have the standard rechargeable brompton branded cateye on top of the mudguard and never have a problem with mud, and its pretty wet here in London :smile:

I upgraded to the Cateye 800 on the same mount, and the sparkler show out front is amazing in the wet! I really want another one as a spare, but waiting for summer lighting discounts ;-)

Top Bottom