Brompton M to S bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirt01

I`m just about to buy a Brompton, it will be the S6L (Black edition) I have to order this through the cycle to work scheme that uses either Halfords or Cycle republic. Currently, they state they can only get the M6L (Black edition) With this in mind who easy is it to switch the bars out ?

Simple enough to switch the bars, but you will end up with a super low position, as the M-type stem is about 65mm shorter than the S-Type - see pic of Mrs' and Jr's below.

Edited to add: you'd also need to cut down the cables too by a similar amount, to not interfere with the fold. They'd be shorter than S-type cables too, but nothing too tricky.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
One thing, the newer M-Type handlebars don't rise as much as that, so may not be quite so much lower with the S-types. Also, the S-Types are wider bars, so may not need to shorten as much there either.

I switched from standard 2018 M-Bars to Joseph Kousac mid-rise bars, without a huge difference once I'd chopped them down a bit. SJScycles sell the Joseph Kousac mid-rise and flat-ish (more ergonomic) aluminium bars at a very reasonable price to be able to try both to see which you prefer.

For long distance, the mid-rise I think are perhaps the ideal for me, although I'm thinking of trying the flatter ones for commuting, as see how they go on longer distance.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
When you see them side by side like that, with the additional height of the front stem, the S Type are not actually that much lower.

Nufab

Über Member
I’d wait for the S; changing from M to S properly will need cables, stem and handlebars, and cost a small fortune.

If they have other models in S guise, maybe consider if you need the 6 speed? I know of provides for a lot of different terrain and uses, but I went for the S2L Black Edition and I find it fine. Granted I don’t ride it far, but then I wouldn’t anyway.. they’re superb bikes but not nearly as comfy as a road bike for distance.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You also can't buy an S-stem any more. It's one of the parts Brompton doesn't trust you to fit. You have to have a dealer order it and fit it for you.

berlinonaut

Veteran
You also can't buy an S-stem any more. It's one of the parts Brompton doesn't trust you to fit. You have to have a dealer order it and fit it for you.
That's true for the UK but not necessarily for other parts of the world. When they invented this policy a couple of years ago Brompton said (as to my memory) they wanted to get rid of the armada of malmechaniced Bromptons in the UK. Does this say something about British home bike mechanics? :angel:^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What if you live miles from the nearest dealer and have no car? You're stuffed. They must think all their customers live in London.

berlinonaut

Veteran
That’s crazy, it’s a 5 minute job to fit.
If you consider this a 5 minute job Brompton has a good reason not to sell these parts to a general audience. It starts with the right tools, continues with the correct cable lengths and does not end with the correct amount of torque. I have changed countless stems and bars on Bromptons - not a single one needed five minutes an most needed a surprisingly huge lot of time until everything worked totally flawlessly as it is supposed to.

Gunk

Guru
If you consider this a 5 minute job Brompton has a good reason not to sell these parts to a general audience. It starts with the right tools, continues with the correct cable lengths and does not end with the correct amount of torque. I have changed countless stems and bars on Bromptons - not a single one needed five minutes an most needed a surprisingly huge lot of time until everything worked totally flawlessly as it is supposed to.

I was just making the point that it’s not a huge job. 🙄

roley poley

Über Member
I love fettling out a project and learning how to do it but there are others in this world (present company excluded ) who I would not trust to sit on the loo the right way round and then sue for lack of instructions on a public toilet that anyone can enter without training.. those are the people they and many other companies are trying to stop . Its a sign of the times that it is also used against the enthusiast to make a buck .end of rant

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Also see Part P electrical regs. I've fixed appalling stuff done by the "professionals" - wires just twisted together, spurs off spurs off spurs, 200 square metre ring mains. Not since 2005, though.

12boy

Guru
I have an S Brompton and I've changed from flat bars to moustache and back again with very little trouble in terms of cabling. As long as they are long enough to fold they work fine, although you may want to take a picture of the original cabling before removing it. I've found buying bulk cabling and cutting it into correct lengths a lot cheaper than buying pre cut cables.

Top Bottom