Brompton Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveglloyd

Hi all,

I take delivery of my first Brompton this week and cannot wait! Managed to get a new S6L, surprised as they seem to be like proverbial rocking horse poop right now.

A road cyclist and habitual tinkerer of my bikes, I was wondering if anyone has some key modification recommendations to set me off on my Brompton commuting adventure? I already have a Brooks Cambium saddle I plan to use but are there any key things I should swap/replace to start off with?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@chriscross1966 is the guy you need to talk to :okay:

Legomutton

Work out where all the cable etc. rubbing points are, folded and unfolded, and attach bits of helicopter tape/protection film.

Lights?

Eazy wheels were a 'no-brainer' for the P6R but I think your later bike will have the improved rollers anyway. The contact points are the obvious bits to swap if the standard offerings don't suit - saddle, grips, pedals. I find the Brompton saddle pretty good, and although I have used SPD pedals on mine I have the standard flats back on at the moment.

Has somebody told you to point the saddle to the right a bit when you lock the seat down so as to stop the bike banging into your leg when carried by the saddle nose? Perhaps you'll be looking for a different 'grip' when you fit the Cambium...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ergon GP2 or GP3 grips.
Join the London Brompton Club website and fb page (even if not in Londinium)
Eazy Wheels if not fitted.
Firm suspension block or after market Ti Spring
Use the Front Carrier and Brompton Bags for carrying loads.
Decide whether it's an 'Objet d'art' or a bicycle.
Ride.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bar ends. Harder suspension block. Take it apart and put it back together again properly, if it's like mine was or like my mate's new one last year. Grease? They've heard of it.

OP
OP
steveglloyd

steveglloyd

Work out where all the cable etc. rubbing points are, folded and unfolded, and attach bits of helicopter tape/protection film.

Lights?

Eazy wheels were a 'no-brainer' for the P6R but I think your later bike will have the improved rollers anyway. The contact points are the obvious bits to swap if the standard offerings don't suit - saddle, grips, pedals. I find the Brompton saddle pretty good, and although I have used SPD pedals on mine I have the standard flats back on at the moment.

Has somebody told you to point the saddle to the right a bit when you lock the seat down so as to stop the bike banging into your leg when carried by the saddle nose? Perhaps you'll be looking for a different 'grip' when you fit the Cambium...

Didn’t know about the saddle pointing to the right tip so thanks

mitchibob

Über Member
Bar ends. Harder suspension block. Take it apart and put it back together again properly, if it's like mine was or like my mate's new one last year. Grease? They've heard of it.
Bar-ends (GP3 grips have been good for me) and Superfirm suspension block, and maybe titanium seatpost to go with it (I did the two together, so I can't comment on one without the other). Not much to do on either of mine on initial maintenance, but that's before they got really busy maybe. I did get one of the dodgy BBs but had replaced before they recalled.

Continental Contact Urban Tyres.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Can you get Brompton Ti seatposts again? Years ago they were the best bang for the buck in terms of weight saving, but weren't offered for long. Brompton replaced them with an alu one, which turned out to be a bit of a failure, and it's been steel-only for years. I've had an original Ti post since 2009.

I once fitted a cheap J&L Chinese aftermarket Ti post to a different Brompton. Rode it around the block and immediately took it off again. It was suspiciously flexible and I feared impalement.

mitchibob

Über Member
Can you get Brompton Ti seatposts again? Years ago they were the best bang for the buck in terms of weight saving, but weren't offered for long. Brompton replaced them with an alu one, which turned out to be a bit of a failure, and it's been steel-only for years. I've had an original Ti post since 2009.

I once fitted a cheap J&L Chinese aftermarket Ti post to a different Brompton. Rode it around the block and immediately took it off again. It was suspiciously flexible and I feared impalement.

I've done about 24,000km with my cheap chinese Ti seatpost. Saves a good 300-350g and outlasted the saddle. For £60 was definitely worth the punt. Just doesn't have the flanged end, so you can pull it straight out, unlike more expensive ones.

12boy

Guru
The very large shopping bag is the cheapest but doesn't work too well with an S bar.
I second SPDs and Ergons. I have bar ends as well, which are nice for a hand position change. I put a little section of rubber fuel hose inside my "firm" suspension block. it is really firm now and doesn't squeak.
But primarily, ride it around for a while and get used to it as is. You may want to change your gearing and is a lot cheaper to change a sprocket on the hub than a chainring, and a lot easier too.
I would make a point of removing and reinstalling the rear wheel, especially adjusting the Sturmey Archer hub and removing and reinstalling the tire. Learning the process at home with Youtube tutorials on hand is very different than doing it in the dark and rain for the first time. Fixing a flat will require a 15 mm wrench and some tire irons.

Top Bottom