Brompton Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Front bag ?

Best mod I did was the front basket.

17A35BCA-4662-4EAF-9A88-79C0958F743E.jpeg

3ACB5F65-CD1B-4F3D-8730-EDDC354E136A.jpeg

328A204B-2D1B-4AA8-8A1C-F2826E3674C6.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
I would also recommend the Brompton tool kit

Tenkaykev

Guru
I made the same mod to a Wilko £12 basket but took it off when the daughter took one of the road bikes on ( I left the “ Klikfix” style bracket that came with the basket “in situ” and fitted the Brommie mount underneath so it worked on both bikes ) I was going to do the same on a new basket but the local Wilko are out of stock. Great mod though 👍

sheddy

Legendary Member
Probably a stupid question - has anyone successfully fixed a rear puncture in situ just by pulling the affected bit of tube out, patching and pushing back under the tyre ?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not on a Brompton, but on a fixie when I'd forgotten to bring a spanner for the track nuts. It works.

Caveats:

1. A lot of my Brompton punctures have been failures at the valve stem, which can't be patched. The old style rims could be badly finished around the hole. I've filed the burrs off now.

2. Patching in the rain is near-impossible.

3. It can be trickier to find the hole when the tube is still tangled up in the bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Probably a stupid question - has anyone successfully fixed a rear puncture in situ just by pulling the affected bit of tube out, patching and pushing back under the tyre ?
I've seen it done, but as I don't find removing the rear wheel much of a faff, I'd replace the tube out on the road...and fix the puncture whilst in a comfy chair....

Tenkaykev

Guru

As @Fab Foodie says, it’s a bit of a faff. I followed the excellent “ guide to fixing a Brompton rear wheel puncture” on the Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel. It’s a lot less daunting that it first appears. I practiced a couple of times in the comfort of the lounge so I feel confident that I could cope out on the roads. I did on one occasion try to pull the tube out with the wheel still on but it was too frustrating.
The only thing that I still struggle with is rerouting the chain round the tensioner.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SOP for Brompton commuters is indeed to call a cab and fix it later.

My tip would be to put a pair of disposable latex gloves in the box with your spare tube. They take up virtually no room but will save you from oily hands. I've never found a way to refit the chain tensioner without touching the chain. Also, if you loosen the rear wheel nuts and then shake the wheel from side to side, the tab washers will usually come out of their slots without having to use fingernails.

12boy

Guru
Instead of latex gloves, you can also wax your chain with a mixture of wax and grease that won't pickup grit or get your hands dirty. the tip on wiggling the wheel to get the tab washers out is a good one.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I've done it recently, more out of curiosity to find out if this would be a valid option for me. It works, but I fully agree with @Fab Foodie: Pulling out the rear wheel is no issue in practice (in opposite to what rumors say) and makes fixing way easier. I'd say in the end it is quicker, too. Worth noting that the tire in my experiment was the Kojak, so probably the easiest tire to fix a puncture with the wheel still mounted. I did it with the rear wheel folded under the main frame. In practice - as @Fab Foodie - in most cases I simply replace the tube and patch the defective one at home or in the hotel - simply the fastest way and a spare tube takes literally no space and no relevant extra weight with the Brommi.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think you have got most of the tips.
Ergo grips for sure. I ditched the folding pedals early on and use spds. Be careful with the pedal as they can gauge the frame. Helicopter tape. If you have an M type bar, a handlebar bridge is useful. The Brompton pump is good for decoration only. If you have other bikes you will not need a Brompton toolkit. Its a clever design, but expensive. You will need to carry a 15mm spanner for the rear wheel. Learn how to change a rear tube at home first and not on the road. There are several front bags made by Brompton. They are expensive for what they are. I will let you know what my most recent bag is. Could you post a photo of your bike? To fasten the phone to the bike use a Quadlock.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think you have got most of the tips.
Ergo grips for sure. I ditched the folding pedals early on and use spds. Be careful with the pedal as they can gauge the frame. Helicopter tape. If you have an M type bar, a handlebar bridge is useful. The Brompton pump is good for decoration only. If you have other bikes you will not need a Brompton toolkit. Its a clever design, but expensive. You will need to carry a 15mm spanner for the rear wheel. Learn how to change a rear tube at home first and not on the road. There are several front bags made by Brompton. They are expensive for what they are. I will let you know what my most recent bag is. Could you post a photo of your bike? To fasten the phone to the bike use a Quadlock.
I seem to remember that you are a dab hand with bespoke Brompton luggage Steve? I know I’ve admired some of your previous creations.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
When adding or changing stuff like saddles, bar ends, lights, bags etc, it's quite easy for the weight to creep up to 30lb or so. This is fine for riding, but bear in mind that a Brompton is sometimes carried up stairs or stowed in a cupboard, neither of which are fun when it weighs too much. So choose carefully!

Top Bottom