Brompton Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good to see you back on the forum Carl, hope you’re well @EltonFrog

Above ground and still breathing.

dimrub

Ok, don't judge me. Or do, I don't care :smile:. I know it's a classic design, well tested and changed carefully, yadda-yadda, I've owned one since 2003. But I got tired of all the extra-weight on my M6L, and, frankly, a rather dull looks, so I went to my friend Ali, last name Express. So far I replaced the handlebar, the grips, the lights, front and back, the pedals, the front bag block, the tires, the suspension block and the seatpost clamp. I also got brake handles, but apparently I need to recable in order to replace those, and I don't have the cables at hand. I also ordered new wheels, but I think this may have been a bit overly ambitious because I'll need to rebuild the rear one. Next up are frame clamps, easy wheels front and back, saddle bag - to match my Brooks, new seatpost, and a new front hook. I must say it looks great now, and rides better than before, though I'm not sure I can really feel the change in weight. I would have loved to replace the drivetrain, because that 3x2 is annoying, with 1x5 like that guy on YouTube, but that's a bit out of my league. I'm still not sure about replacing the brakes - probably not worth the effort.

So, my Brompton, before the mods:
1666206384984.png

After the mods:
1666206483111.png

Replaced:
- Tires and tubes
- Pedals
- Installed lights, back and front
- Eazy wheels + back roller
- Suspension block
- Seatpost (also got rid of the telescopic one + adaptor, so the seat moved a bit aft, better sitting position)
- Seatpost clamp
- Saddle bag
- Frame clamps
- Handlebar + grips
- Front bag block

The result is a bike that is lighter, has better suspension, rides better and is prettier (the last one is in the de gustibus category).

Things I would have liked to replace, but was unable to:
- Brake levers (for aesthetics)
- Wheels (for weight mostly, but also aesthetics)
- Mudguards
- Front hook
- Drivetrain (arrgh, that 3x2 is infuriating)
- Maybe cranks, definitely the crankset guard.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Things I would have liked to replace, but was unable to:
- Brake levers (for aesthetics)

This would not only be an aesthetic but also a functional upgrade. I seems you are running the original pre-2013 levers. An upgrade to the post-2013 version (or a 3rd-party variant) dramatically enhances breaking. The first thing I do on older Bromptons and in my eyes one the most important upgrades one can do. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I also got brake handles, but apparently I need to recable in order to replace those, and I don't have the cables at hand.

I dot understand this. I upgraded by brake levers like your to the new style ones (and it is a big improvement to the braking performance). You can simply re thread the existing cables onto it or is they have frayed ends etc just replace with new inner cables. The outer cable length remains unchanged.

dimrub

I dot understand this. I upgraded by brake levers like your to the new style ones (and it is a big improvement to the braking performance). You can simply re thread the existing cables onto it or is they have frayed ends etc just replace with new inner cables. The outer cable length remains unchanged.

Not sure I follow. Here's the new lever:

1666267400083.png

Leaving aside the fact that now that it's here I'm not sure I want it on my bike - it seems a bit flimsy and cheap - it has a clear way of inserting and removing the end of the cable - by aligning the screw with the body, inserting the cable, then rotating the screw.

And here is the current lever:

1666267565879.png

I don't see a way to remove the end (the ball?) from the enclosure, short of cutting the cable close to it, then inserting a new one. What am I missing?

Not sure I follow. Here's the new lever:

View attachment 665225
Leaving aside the fact that now that it's here I'm not sure I want it on my bike - it seems a bit flimsy and cheap - it has a clear way of inserting and removing the end of the cable - by aligning the screw with the body, inserting the cable, then rotating the screw.

And here is the current lever:

View attachment 665226

I don't see a way to remove the end (the ball?) from the enclosure, short of cutting the cable close to it, then inserting a new one. What am I missing?

Undo it at the brake caliper and push it through and out of the brake lever ? It's the reverse of how you'd fit it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1666269619679.png

a 2003 bike would have originally come with on open clevis lever that you could simply slip in and out (but you'd still need to undo at the caliper end to generate some slack). Post 2008 it became closed clevis so you have to re thread the inner as per @cougie uk above. either way is still a quick and simple operation. Looks like your is a post 2008 level, there was a safety recall apparently as they changed the standard inner cable whicmeant teh olds ones became a bit dodgy if you used the new cable in it.

see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fitting-new-brake-levers-to-an-old-brompton.266207/post-6118331

anyway you defo want the new black levers on it. they work much better as well as looking and feeling better.

dimrub

Thanks folks, got it now. The only remaining issue is that the cables are crimped at the caliper, nothing that another trip to Aliexpress can't solve.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Looks like your is a post 2008 level, there was a safety recall apparently as they changed the standard inner cable whicmeant teh olds ones became a bit dodgy if you used the new cable in it.
The green bike in the pic is between 2009 and 2012 (mate color, fixed chainwheel, old levers), so not affected by the open-clovis topic.

12boy

Guru
I bought a $20 pair of tektro clones which allow for removing the levers without pulling the cable and have a hinged clamp so the levers come off or on without moving the grips. They brake better and are handier for my uses.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I bought a $20 pair of tektro clones which allow for removing the levers without pulling the cable and have a hinged clamp so the levers come off or on without moving the grips. They brake better and are handier for my uses.

Hi @12boy, good to hear from you, how are things?

Top Bottom