Brompton Mud Guards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
My new (to me) Brompton has a rear rack and mud-guards fitted.
The mud-guards are mounted on the rack.
I want rid of the rack (I think I'll have to fit a rear frame clip as it's an older model that folds when lifted).
What are my mud-guard options if I remove the rack; I can't work out whether the mud-guards I have seen online require the rear rack for mounting.
If I remove the rack do I need to buy wheels or something to replace it (for standing when folded)?
thanks
MC

IIRC there are two types of mudguard, one with the rear rack and one without. The replacement mudguard for non-rack bikes has a tiny little wheel on it. It then stands on that wheel plus the two on the frame. Do you have easy-wheels on it?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
PS - why do you want rid of the rack? It is very good for adding to folded stability; and is useful for extra luggage carrying if you have the rear bag.

I have a rear rack on mine, and although it adds the best part of a kilo it is indespensible for carrying a 4-pack of beer back from the shops - it (the beer) sits perfectly and is held in place by the elastic straps - superb :cheers:

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Good choice to leave it. I got mine without a rack but was strongly advised before buying to decide and stick to that decision as adding/removing them as an afterthought is a renowned PITA.

If you do choose to remoce it then +1 to @SavageHoutkop above, it does require a different mudguard.

rualexander

Legendary Member
If you decide to get rid of the rack, I would be interested in buying it from you.

I *think* we retrofitted a rack to Mr Savagehoutkop's bike (shop only had the non-racked version in when we bought) but we would have done it almost immediately when we bought (back in '08 I think!).
If anyone is interested I'll have a rummage around and see if the mudguard is still about. It's unlike us (me) to chuck out something like that but equally I don't recall seeing it in our last house move... and can't recall giving it away/selling it/freecycling it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a rear rack on mine, and although it adds the best part of a kilo it is indespensible for carrying a 4-pack of beer back from the shops - it (the beer) sits perfectly and is held in place by the elastic straps - superb :cheers:
A front mounted bag will carry even more beer* for far less weight penalty

* other alcoholic beverages are available

Top Bottom