Brompton mudguard advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
Sticking certain tyres on my bike last summer destroyed my rear mudguard, then removed front for a hill-climb and been too lazy to put back as want to get matching pair, but with current forecasts, really want to get some mudguards back, but wondering about which ones to actually go for. The titanium stays I have, while don't rust, they're perhaps a little too flexible and just look a bit 2nd hand while functional at the back.

Then there's the whole colour choice, or material choice. Some carbon mudguards look attractive. Also, ones that rattle least. Are some of the aliexpress specials any good? Should the next mudguards be red?

I'm struggling with choice, and realise that asking this community going to potentially give me more, but could also close off some alleys.

Thanks in advance.

D_rus2pWvd7=w2070-h1552-s-no?authuser=0&authuser=0.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
IMG_0504.jpeg

Aluminium mudguards and chain guard, titanium stays. Brommiemods, designed and made in the UK

Tenkaykev

Guru
They do look sweet, but probably helps with black forks and triangle. Struggling to think they're actual 'value for money'. How is the rattle?

Cannot fault colour co-ordinated track pump as well!

The bike was a treat for myself around the time of my 70th birthday 🎂. I'd also been fortunate in getting a ballot place in the 2019 Brompton World Championships and decided to " bling it up a bit " for the event. Brommiemods had to colour match the components to the correct RAL code which I got from Brompton, and there was a bit of back and forth dialogue about the fittings etc.
I fitted an ( expensive) chain with matching alternate red/ black links, plus new swisstop brake pads which were also red/ black. Really pleased with the quality of the components, no rattling that I'm aware of ( though Mrs Tenkaykev often has to repeat herself, so my hearing's probably not as good as it was) 🤔😄

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
The bike was a treat for myself around the time of my 70th birthday 🎂. I'd also been fortunate in getting a ballot place in the 2019 Brompton World Championships and decided to " bling it up a bit " for the event. Brommiemods had to colour match the components to the correct RAL code which I got from Brompton, and there was a bit of back and forth dialogue about the fittings etc.
I fitted an ( expensive) chain with matching alternate red/ black links, plus new swisstop brake pads which were also red/ black. Really pleased with the quality of the components, no rattling that I'm aware of ( though Mrs Tenkaykev often has to repeat herself, so my hearing's probably not as good as it was) 🤔😄

Reckon you have me sold, just need to make sure I can still get up a mountain with the 50T that I'd probably prefer to have on bike most of the time these days as chain-guard does add to the ensemble. Only problem I have now figuring out the two reds they sell. Both my brommies are black and red, one 2016, one 2018, and while I'm slightly red/green colour blind, colours on them look identical to me. So what's with the post 2017 colour? Is that just for the ex-doper brand bikes?

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member

I didn't go so far, although the chain sounds tempting (where's that from?), but might need to draw the line somewhere... let's see how Wales do in the 2023 RWC.

9KT8BdYsGDfp0Emwfy9DDQ=w2940-h1654-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Kell

Veteran
Completely off-topic - but Wales got more out of that game than we did. IMHOOC.

They said at the start that the England team was our most capped team (can't remember if they said 'since 19XX' or they might even have said 'ever'). Versus a side where Gats was trying out various things to see if they work.

Back on topic...

Did you have to fettle your chainguard to fit?

I'm running a SPA cycles 48T chainring and originally ran it without a guard, but the chain kept bouncing off. So I bought a guard which has to sit on the outside of the spider and needed longer chainring bolts plus hacksawing one of the holes off to fit behind the crank arm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
Completely off-topic - but Wales got more out of that game than we did. IMHOOC.

They said at the start that the England team was our most capped team (can't remember if they said since19XX or ever). Versus a side where Gats was trying out various things to see if they work.

Did you have to fettle your chainguard to fit?

I'm running a SPA cycles 48T chainring and originally ran it without a guard, but the chain kept bouncing off. So I bought a guard which has to sit on the outside of the spider and needed longer chainring bolts plus hacksawing on of them off to fit behind the crank.

Fully agree on the rugby!

No fettling on chain guard as came with bolts with spacers. But standard 50T chainring. Think they just had in the 3 standard brommie sizes.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I didn't go so far, although the chain sounds tempting (where's that from?), but might need to draw the line somewhere... let's see how Wales do in the 2023 RWC.

View attachment 702696

Lovely looking bike. I can't remember who I purchased the chain from, I know it was one of the smaller UK bike shops. I just did a search and found one on Amazon that seems a good price, link here:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KMC-Unisexs-X10-SL-Speed-Chain-Black/dp/B008KYMX62?th=1&psc=1

Here's the brake pads, you can't really notice them unless you look, but I thought I'd make a bit of an effort for the occasion.

IMG_2377.JPG

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
Lovely looking bike. I can't remember who I purchased the chain from, I know it was one of the smaller UK bike shops. I just did a search and found one on Amazon that seems a good price, link here:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KMC-Unisexs-X10-SL-Speed-Chain-Black/dp/B008KYMX62?th=1&psc=1

Here's the brake pads, you can't really notice them unless you look, but I thought I'd make a bit of an effort for the occasion.

View attachment 702810

Well, at that price for a chain, definitely going to keep it clean ;-). Certainly more stylish than a gold chain! 10 speed work ok, then? Good to know

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've don't bother with mudguards on my folder. I've found that by the time the road is wet enough for them to have an appreciable effect I'm getting equally soaked from above anyway, so the NET effect is negligible.

Naturally, the position of your needle on the dial of acceptable comfort may well be in a different position to mine.

Kell

Veteran
Not sure about that. Going out after it's rained and having to deal with wet roads is not the most pleasant experience. And happens quite a lot when you commute.

I'd definitely rather have mudguards than not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom