Brompton on an aeroplane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I packed my Dahon in a suitcase for a US trip see here for tips http://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/pack.htm - only any good if you do not need to tour.

In general terms I have travelled by plane many times with a non folding bike, and I have cut and paste my general comments below to save retyping them
=============================================

[FONT=&quot]First tip TURN UP EARLY if only to stop any arguments. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To pack the bike I use the http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/shop.html bag - have just binned one after about 5 uses. They weigh 550g and will fit in a pannier or on the rack. Remove pedals, swivel handlebars and drop saddle right down. I take tons of cables ties (fix wheel to bike if needed [Flybe], fix pedals to rack etc, and I also unscrew the rear mech (leave all cables on) and cable tie it to the frame to prevent the hanger being bent. On Flybe I use a spacer for the front forks. To tape up the bag I use heavy duty clear tape from B&Q - has a checkered pattern, and tears easily, does not unstick in use, but can be peeled off afterwards.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As a precaution for anyone saying “that is not a bike bag” I print a screen shot of the Bike Adventures website showing the bag on sale and in use. I also print the airline’s own terms and conditions just in case.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Easyjet and Ryanair take payment in advance which has the benefit of knowing you have a booking. I have used both several times with a bike.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have used Flybe on several return trips and they have been great. I live 4 miles from Southampton so there is a big attraction to use them. The ONLY issue I have is that officially it is a standby only arrangement, which could really screw up your hols. However it has always worked fine[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Because they use smallish planes you have to remove the front wheel as well as the usual pedal/handlebar stuff. If you do not have front pannier frames, you can just turn the handlebars and forks sideways, rather than undo the bolts to twist it. I strap the wheel to the RIGHT hand side of the bike as on the first occasion I ended up with a slightly bent outer chain ring (Stronglight softish alloy) which I bent back with pliers. TOP TIP, as Flybe are at smaller airports they may well not have an excess baggage Xray large enough for bikes, so do not seal the bag till they tell you they are happy, as they may do a manual explosives swab.

I have only been asked to pay once with FlyBe. On other occasions they either didn't ask me, or because I was carrying the panniers as carry on bags, they didn't think it was fair. However with new rules on carry on bags (max 1 and rigidly enforced), I will be checking in the panniers, but plan to put these inside a £shop duffel bag I got to avoid being charged on a per-piece basis!

They will only not carry your bike on the same flight as you if it is very full and very laden. Now that people have to pay for bags this is less likely, as more will reduce luggage and carry it on. But there is the risk in which case they will send it on the next flight

However I have had telephone contact with Flybe (trying calling Ryanair!) and they are friendly and helpful - I am confident that if the bike misses the plane they would do their best to help.

[/FONT]

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Thanks guys - there are some useful hints and tips here. The fact that people have taken bikes through Leeds airport without problem is reassuring.

jay clock

Massive member
I bet baggage handlers instantly realise the package is a bike and try to do as much damage to it as possible by "innocently" chucking it around so as to discourage anyone from ever taking a bike with them again when they fly.
I missed this comment, and will echo those replies from people who have had the opposite experience. The less well packed it is the kinder they treat it. This is based upon approx 14 or 15 round trips by plane

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll echo Jay's comments. My bikes haven't been on planes as often as his, but in half a dozen trips with bikes in plastic bags, soft bags or no bags at all, I've had nothing worse than scratches and mildly bent chainrings.

The original post asked about Bromptons on aircraft, we took ours on honeymoon to the Dordogne packed in Brompton boxes, the boxes that Brommiesa are delivered to retailers in. Go to a decent bike shop that sells Brommies and see if they'll give you a tough cardboard Bromton box.
When I travel with my tourer nowadays, like others here I just use pipe lagging.

Good luck

Paco

I've always used spare bike boxes from my LBS, and had no problems. But if you want to cycle away from the airport, you will have no where to leave the box for the return journey. Airports these days do not have a "left luggage" office, or lockers.

JackE

Über Member
I read somewhere that Airnimal are developing a hard case that quickly converts into a touring trailer. If true, it sounds like a brilliant idea.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The times I've done it, I boxed the bike for the flight out, and used a big polythene bag for the flight back. If the bike gets mashed on the way home, your trip's not wrecked, and you've get your own spares heap to help with the ensuing fettlage.

This was a road bike, BTW. Not a Brommie.

Not sure I'd fancy dumping a huge box near an airport these days, though. I'd feel awfully guilty if the box got treated as a bomb and everyone was evacuated for the day...

Im interested in taking a brommie I guess....for my next trip....My last trip to Karon Beach Thailand ended in failure when I wanted to hire a bike.I did hire an electric one the first time I was there though.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My bike's brakes got mildly damaged by Ryanair years ago but I'm not convinced it wasn't the husband's efforts of reassembling it!!! But I can't be sure. Ever since, never had any problems flying with bikes and we use the plastic bag method.

Jugular

The Dimpa bag from Ikea (£4) + some pipe insulation for the joins and edges has been mentioned as perfectly sized for a Brompton on Bromptontalk. It has integral handles making it easier to maneuver and is pretty cheap and replaceable. It's transparent so should conform to the above arguments about care. Certainly on my Brompton shopping list. I'm still not convinced on a Brompton's touring prowess though, even though I have the new 6 speed, I guess I'm just going to have to try it out!

Would a Brompton work if I took it to Kuala Lumpar or Japan?

Im not sure...I'd love to ride my fixie in Japan but I don't think it's possible....anybody know of any companies which deal in sort of cycling holidays?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
hackbike 666 said:
Would a Brompton work if I took it to Kuala Lumpar or Japan?

Definitely not. If you take a bike to the other hemisphere you'll need to ride it backwards - it won't stay upright otherwise. It's to do with the gyroscopic effect being reversed.
(May contain traces of lie)

hackbike 666 said:
Im not sure...I'd love to ride my fixie in Japan but I don't think it's possible....anybody know of any companies which deal in sort of cycling holidays?

Just take it on the plane. I don't know if the CTC do a tour out there

Top Bottom