Brompton on the Eurostar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I travel regularly with a Brompton. I have the Ikea Dimpa bag handy and say I will put my bike in the bag when I get on the train. Makes it easier to manage other luggage. Then I 'forget' about the bag. The train manager never seems bothered but some of the ground staff are a little hung up by the rules.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'll also add that generally, you can upgrade from Standard to whatever-the-cheaper-sort-of-First-is-called for about £40 each way at the weekends.
Whether you think that's worth it for a wider seat, a few drinks and a snack is a different matter.

alicat

Legendary Member
I travel regularly to Lille Europe station. There are only four platforms and the correct platform is announced 15 mins pre departure.

There are a variety of ticket machines at Lille and the difference is not clear to my untrained eyes. In your shoes I would look for a machine that says 'lignes grande distance' or buy your tickets in advance via the SNCF website.

alicat

Legendary Member
@User, if you PM me the instructions I will have a recce in the station at Lille next week and pass on what useful info I can.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Thanks guys.
Picked up a Dimpa bag at the weekend and it fits like a glove, so all set and ready to go.

I've taken a Brompton to Paris before but now I'd probably use a Velib', then there's no need to find parking for your Brompton at the museum/ cinema/ creperie etc. Haven't used one for a few years now but last time I did it was possible to hire without registration with a credit card.
I will be getting in tomorrow evening, ride straight to my hotel. The following day it will be hotel to office and then back to the station. So no time for visiting anywhere where I wouldn't want the inconvenience of having a bike. But hope tomorrow night for an evening ride about to at least see some more of the sights than I usually get to see when limited to going by foot.

Mrs R and I took our Brommies to Lille on Eurostar in June. I've not much to add to what's been said - it's easy, bag it, there's usually plenty of room on the carriages and just forget about it. One tip - at St Pancras International make sure you line up at the 'big' luggage scanner - it's by the very right hand lane. No worries if you don't find it, the security staff will direct you to it. Our Brommies were too big for the normal machines.
Very useful, thanks for that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for the offer. Apparently, as my trip includes a SNCF train, I have to pick the tickets up at St Pancras.
That was my experience, when onwards wise via TGV but it was a while ago. The Eurostar tickets were sent in the post and I had to queue to get the SNCF ones.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

I'm back home in one piece.

Three and a bit years I have been riding folders, the last year with the Brompton and in all that time I have only ever used it for my daily commute, this is the first time I have been out on it for pleasure and my god it was fun!

I can certainly see now why people enjoy touring on these things. I know this was only a very short trip and covered just a few miles, but in my mind there is no better way of exploring a new city! Certainly beats the underground, periodically popping above ground and not really knowing where you are in relation to you last visit to the surface. I got to see much more while actually getting familiar with the layout of the city.

The Dimpa bag is a bit of genius, fits like a glove. I ended up lying a loop in each of the handles to shorten them a bit so that I could actually lift it high enough off the ground. Would have been ok without that if I were 9 foot tall though.
IMG_20170905_130454.jpg

The bike got me to the Eiffel Tower in time for the turning on of the lights.
IMG_20170905_202722.jpg

And of course, the staple 'Bromton in the way of an otherwise nice piece of scenery' photo. :laugh:
IMG_20170905_195409.jpg

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

What bottle holder are you using there?
It is a regular cage, I have used some strap on mounts to make up for the missing fixing points.
They are similar to this but use screw tensioner to tighten them up which I expect to be better than these cable tie ones. I did get them from cycle surgery but can't see them on their site now.

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/zefal-bottle-clamp-gizmo-P5524002.html?colour=124

Spartak