Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Managed to salvage the forks. No cracks in the brazing around the top boss so I was able to coax it back to almost straight. I think it will be close enough, it only holds the folding clip. I've also now welded the front brake bosses on, I'll build what I have of the bike back up shortly to see what other bits need doing before I strip the paint ready for primer :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Quick build up of some of the other components...

All seems good so far :okay::becool:

Need to decide on a colour at some point. I'm torn between going subtle with a pale olive green or metallic grey or bright and bold with a metallic emerald green or purple :wacko:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Will you have enough tyre clearance after spreading the stays to fit the Alfine?

Good question, no idea yet to be honest. I've got some rims and tyres on order and will build them up as soon as I can but until then I won't know for sure. I'll make room one way or another :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Looking at the progress of this project made me realise that, for such an expensive bike, the rear dropouts and fork blades on a Brompton are really no better than the ones on my cheapo Puch 3-speed roadster! That's not to say they aren't fit for purpose, or won't do the job - but elegant they ain't! :eek:

Looking at the progress of this project made me realise that, for such an expensive bike, the rear dropouts and fork blades on a Brompton are really no better than the ones on my cheapo Puch 3-speed roadster! That's not to say they aren't fit for purpose, or won't do the job - but elegant they ain't! :eek:
A shopping mall I go to often in BKK has Brommies, and so I had a chance to get a close up perusal. Looking at them in detail I find it hard to believe they cost so much, even the front wheel was radially spoked, which is not a good idea on any bike. I hope to ride one some day to see what all the fuss is about. You're eyes would water if you saw the prices here with all the import taxes added on :cry:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I hope to ride one some day to see what all the fuss is about. You're eyes would water if you saw the prices here with all the import taxes added on :cry:

I've taken one for a spin round the block, and shall we say, the handling wasn't exactly to my liking. I'm not a massive fan of small wheel shopper/commuter bikes in general, although they serve a purpose, but given a choice of say a Brompton or a Dawes Kingpin, I would take the Dawes every time.
The prices of even well-used secondhand Bromptons in the UK are enough to make my eyes water, never mind new ones!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
To tell you the truth I've never ridden one :laugh: I imagine it should be pretty good fun to be honest, time will tell 😊

Slight disappointment this evening after finding that the paint is too tough for the blaster at work :laugh: It's playing up a bit so I'll have a chat with the workshop tech's and see if it needs tweaking at all and maybe have another go. I'd like to avoid the mess of paint stripper if at all possible 😬:laugh:

On the plus side the blaster did clean the rust off the stem quill rather nicely :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've taken one for a spin round the block, and shall we say, the handling wasn't exactly to my liking.
I have never ridden one, but I pushed somebody else's out from Hebden Bridge's Town Hall cafe onto a local road and it did feel distinctly odd-handling to me. Maybe it is different when actually riding, but it didn't make me feel like trying!

...I think their forte is commutes on trains and buses, so a niche product. I've ridden a few bikes with 20" wheels, and for short trips they are ideal. Recently rode one along the Kennet for a few miles, and it was definitely a horse on the wrong course. Have occasionally spotted Brommies on towpaths, guess some people have a higher pain threshold.....:ohmy:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Like any time you change from one style of bike to another, they feel a bit unusual at first, but you soon adapt and get used to the different characteristics and the ride feels perfectly good.

12boy

Guru
I have a Mercier Nano mini velo and a Xooter Swift folder, both with 20 inch wheels, and both not common on this forum. Just as the Brompton was, as I understand, developed for London traffic, the Swift was designed for New York and minivelos for Tokyo. They're all good but the Brompton is easily my favorite in terms of ride. I think the rubber bung rear suspension and the long wheelbase have a lot to do with that. Another thing at which Bromptons excell is toting stuff...loading the frame in front, coupled with a low center of gravity for the weight, actually improves the ride over crap pavement and makes it seem less twitchy. I will be very interested in how the OP likes the ride when it's done.

Top Bottom