Brompton puncture repair (F$%^&*KIN& HEKK)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Brompton with Marathons on. There or four punctures in 3-4 years. All of them I think are rim tape related. I have (Now for the second time on the back) used electrical tape as well. The issue is that the valley of the rim is v shaped so it is impossible to get it seated flat

About an hour it took.

Any ideas for better rim tape or a solution?

Tim Hall

Proper rim tape, not insulating tape. I don't have a Brompton, but the nearest thing I had was fitted with 20 inch wheels and used Velox.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Velox. Measure the width of the channel not the width of the rim AIUI.

Or if you can't get it locally and won't wait, carefully cut down a smaller inner tube, although an inner tube smaller than Brompton size might be harder to find than velox tape!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for all the replies. The currently fitted (original Brompton) tape slips badly sideways

Will have a look at some Velox

T4tomo

Guru
I had that problem once in the dim and distant past, and I think I just used insulation tape to hold the brommie stuff in place.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My Brompton rim tape slipped sideways and caused a puncture. Since I was not at home I just put insulation tape on top of the Brompton stuff about 18 months ago with no recurring problems. I always have a roll of it in my bag as it can be used for all sorts of minor problems.

Top Bottom