Brompton rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Has anyone got to the point where their Brompton is silent?

I genuinely did.

For about two minutes.

It was eerie.

Not really sure what caused it, but it was a particularly smooth piece of tarmac so no bumpy rattles, and for some reason the gearing was quieter than the tyre noise.

Then I changed gear and the unmistakable 'tick, tick, tick' was back.

Gunk

Guru
Pehaps you were stopped at the traffic lights!

alicat

Legendary Member
I just remember that the Brompton bike is a child of the 70s and if mine has any less than three things wrong with it at once I count myself lucky.

madrian

Check this out:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6F0aFQ3Sw

It only rattles on uneven road, when I am not pedaling. I checked everything: everything is tightened, firm and solid. Two thing can be in my opinion: the chain (on video I can clearly see when it's rattling the chain has some movement) and/or the chain tensioner. Doesn't seem to be fixable for me, I think this is normal.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Mine has developed a rattle in the last couple of week. It's not the little wheels, I took them off, it's not the mudguar, I took that off too, it not the wheel on the mudguard, it's not the chain, took that odd and swapped it with the chain from the Fragrant MrsPs Brompton. It's not the derailleur, or the jockey wheels, they've been checked and lubricated.

The other Brompton doesn't do it, and mine only does it when I'm not pedalling.

Its doing my feckin' head in.

Gunk

Guru
Mine has developed a rattle in the last couple of week. It's not the little wheels, I took them off, it's not the mudguar, I took that off too, it not the wheel on the mudguard, it's not the chain, took that odd and swapped it with the chain from the Fragrant MrsPs Brompton. It's not the derailleur, or the jockey wheels, they've been checked and lubricated.

The other Brompton doesn't do it, and mine only does it when I'm not pedalling.

Its doing my feckin' head in.

Try stripping the suspension block and grease the shaft and mating surfaces. That cured mine

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think mine was rattling from (amongst other places) one of the grotty original roller wheels that had been deformed by the previous owner and had a lot of free play on its axle.. sounds like a sort of hollow sound like you'd get if tapping a bare wheel rim suspended from a finger..

Any other pointers that might help diagnose it - does it happen over rough ground, when coasting, when pedalling, in a certain gear etc..? Is it timed with road speed or cadence, or just random?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Try stripping the suspension block and grease the shaft and mating surfaces. That cured mine

Worth a try.

I've had a right mare so far, having taken the mudguards, chain, little wheels, etc of, now I've put it all back on, it took me two hours to set the derailleur!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
<snip>
Any other pointers that might help diagnose it - does it happen over rough ground, when coasting, when pedalling, in a certain gear etc..? Is it timed with road speed or cadence, or just random?

It's over rough ground when not pedalling, no noise at all when pedalling, reg of which gear I'm in. It's not random, it does it every time I'm coasting over slightly rough tarmac.

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
It's over rough ground when not pedalling, not noise at all when pedalling, reg of which gear I'm in. It's not random, it does it every time I'm coasting over slightly rough tarmac.

I had that problem and tracked it down to the Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub. I changed the hub and all is (relatively) quiet.

Top Bottom