Brompton rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Maybe you need to worry why hers is not making a noise!

I expect it’s because hers has been ridden about 400 miles and mine has done nearly a thousand.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think I’ve solved it, pretty certain actually, I have a can of traditional 3:1 oil, that was given me a few years ago. I’ve put a couple of teaspoons of that in the hub, now I don’t hear the noise.

brommieinkorea

Yep the Bromptons rattle, but only on rough roads. Keeps the deer out of the way and gets the opossum out of the middle of the road. Nothing has fallen off yet.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Possibly some elderly bloke still has stickers lying around that used to be common with older British motorbikes:

"Parts falling off this bike are of finest British craftsmanship."

Nothing has fallen off yet.

Not entirely true. The one thing that used to fall off was the mudflap on the rear mudguard. For about 10 years now the bolt has been replaced by a rivet and falling off has stopped since. It did make no noise though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep the Bromptons rattle, but only on rough roads.

That's like saying you only bleed when you're cut.

No rattles even off-road on my hydro-disc equipped alternative.

berlinonaut

Veteran
No rattles even off-road on my hydro-disc equipped alternative.
Funny how you eagerly try to keep your thread clean from Brompton-mentioning as it is declared as a "non-Brompton" thread but at the same time have absolutely no hesitations to constantly promote your ID9 over and over in threads dedicated Brompton topics, even if it is totally and completely off topic. :whistle:

To be fair: Your "
hydro-disc equipped alternative
is pretty rudimentary equipped:
2_petrol-2-jpg.jpg

No mudguards, no suspension, no lights no nothing. Still I can barely believe
No rattles even off-road
as every single derailleur bike I've ridden until now has been rattling of road with it's chain and also cables make noise off road. An unavoidable effect of the derailleur. May it be the case that you suffer from a tremendous bias towards your bike (not to say a fanboy) or you suffer from a inferiority complex to a degree that you need to promote it as if you were a Halfords employee and would earn a commission for each bike sold? I mean: The ID9 seems to be a really good bike for the money but your constant advertising starts to become annoying. Maybe you should open an Instagram account and officially become an influencer?

brommieinkorea

Just lately I’ve have noticed that the rattle on the Brompton has stopped.
So I’ve either fixed it, or whatever was rattling has fallen off. Either way, it’s a win. 🥇

The Bromptons rattle, and it seems a mystery as to why. What fell off? I would think I'd have to lose something substantial for one of them to stop rattling. That said if I hit certain roads and it was quiet it would scare the hell outta me.

Top Bottom