The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't afford a Brompton?

Too fat and heavy muscular and weighty for a Brompton?

Too tall for a Bromp....you get the idea.

A thread for folk to discuss their non Brompton steeds. Their rides, mods, maintenance, anger, despair, whatever.

And to start the ball rolling here's me in best Catalogue Man pose with my ID9.

2_Petrol~2.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
While not a technical breach thers not quite the spirit of the thread.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was quite a sceptic regarding the hype about Bromptons for quite some time due to there being almost a religious fervour amongst Brompton owners. If I dared to suggest that Bromptons were lacking in some way, maybe the weight, the price, some occasional quality issues and so on I was inviting severe criticism from some regular posters. About 14 months ago I was fortunate to find a used Brompton at a very good price and was able to find out first hand its virtues and shortcomings. They do ride well, with a bit of care needed due to the wheel size. They are very practical if you need to get them on board a crowded train as part of a journey. Really, it's all about the fold. It's hard to find anything else that folds so well, and that's why there is such a premium on the price. Having said that, I rode mine about 65 miles as part of a train assisted trip to Wales last year and amazingly I was still able to function the next day.

However, there have been folding bikes around for decades, and if you don't need something that has such an extreme fold there is a lot of choice out there.

My first folder was an aluminium Bickerton, not the Bickerton Portable with the tiny wheels but a Bickerton Country. This used pretty much the same bolted together frame as the Portable but had 20" wheels with chunky tyres on. I doubt that the originals had mudguards but as a refugee from the planet Mudgaard I had to squeeze some on. This was my first experience of a bike-in-a-bag (it came with a blue nylon bag with Bickerton emblazoned on it). It was well used by the time I got it, dating from the late '80s, probably the original Bickerton company's last gasp. If you see a bike with Bickerton on it nowadays, it's probably a rebadged Dahon. I think you had to be something of an enthusiast to ride one of these early folders. Either that or in a state of blissful ignorance of mechanical sympathy. It was definitely light, much lighter than the contemporary steel Raleighs or Dawes folders of its time. However, I've never ridden a bike that flexed or squeaked and creaked so much. It would have been really alarming if I was big and heavy. I found it hard to ride at first, as I would look at the front wheel and end up wandering around the road. Once I realised that you needed to look where you wanted to go, and it would follow, I had no problems. You needed a smooth pedalling style, as the long alloy apehanger bars would flex alarmingly and if you stomped on the pedals the back wheel felt as if it was moving around under you. I spent a lot of time checking the nuts and bolts that held it together but nothing was ever loose. It was actually very comfortable as all that flexiness soaked up the bumps. I sold that to someone who was a bit of a collector and he seemed delighted to have it. This is a photo from the internet, not my bike.
bickerton.countryl.jpg

I was without a folder for a while until Mrs T suggested we got a couple of folders to take in the car to ride away from the traffic. It was a bit random. I found her a used Viking Metropolis as she wanted something with a low step over. Coincidentally I found a Viking Safari which did the job for me. I suspect that these bikes bore little relation to the Viking brand of old, maybe were even made in different far eastern countries. Hers was quite a low compact steel bike with 20" wheels, mine was a more ungainly alloy one with 20" wheels.

Mrs T's enthusiasm faded after about a year but I continued to enjoy the Safari for several years. It folded well enough to go in the car when I took it for a service, to ride home and then back to collect it later. It was nice enough to ride that I just went out on it for a change of emphasis, or to work, as it was a nice 20" wheel bike that just happened to fold. I briefly bought a Dahon HG7 with a hub gear thinking that if the relatively cheap Safari was good, a more upmarket bike would be even better. In fact I only kept it for a short time, as although the Dahon's fold was marginally better, the Safari was nicer to ride.
Safari 1.jpg

Once I bought the Brompton, I found I could take it on the train without pre booking, as well as the things I could use the Safari for. No doubt the Safari could have gone on the train in a similar manner, but it was more awkward to carry, and angular to boot.The Brompton began to be used instead of the Safari. The Safari had the edge on comfort, but for convenience the Brompton has the edge, for my purposes. In the end, like everyone else, I had too many bikes and the Safari had to go. But, I like folders, and if I see one when I'm out and about, I can't help having a nose, and talking to the owner.

I have my beloved Dahon Ciao i7. 20" wheels, 7-speed hub gearing. Love it, comfortable ride, and a good little packhorse with a luggage truss fitted at the front and a large, sturdy wire basket behind. Schwalbe Citizen tyres cope admirably with the vagaries of the canal towpath as well as beaten-earth-and-gravel tracks through woodland, decent bike paths and potholed country lanes.

No, its fold isn't 'superb' - but it's easy, and good enough for most purposes. Had no problems with it on the bus although it's a bit heavy, bulky and clumsy to move when folded. However I'm a 75yo, 4ft 10"-ish woman so it can't be THAT heavy and bulky or I wouldn't be able to hoik it around, on and off trains and buses, would I?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Both Jannie and I both have Bromptons. But we also have a Kia Picanto which is very small. They fit in the back nicely because of the fold.

There are plenty of nice folding bikes out there as long as you do not need them to fold to the size of a matchbox, like we do.

I really like the Terns.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's the Brompton fold that really appeals.

I love those original Bickertons. Not really practical, but I'd still like one for the collection.

I quite like Terns too, which is just as well as the ID9 is a thinly disguised Tern rip off!

Another folder I'd love the the original Dahon. They weigh a bit, but rhe fold is really clever. They're the genesis of practical folding bikes, so that's another I'd love in the collection.

IMG_20160412_152014747.jpg
!

shingwell

There are some other aspects of the Brompton fold that are particularly good: all the oily bits are contained within, whereas with the "fold in half" bikes usually have the chain wheel sticking out in front (I have actually seen a woman get oil on her coat on a crowded train like this). And the B wheels are off the ground so whatever mud, animal poo or oily puddle you have cycled through does not end up on the carpet if you take the bike indoors.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Surprising amount of talk about Bromptons until now in a thread that is defined as a "no Bromptons"-topic. :laugh:
A folder I like is the Airnimal Joey. While it's not the best fold on earth and a bit annoying dealing with the front mudguard and having to take the front wheel off for folding it is on the other hand a very robust, very variable and very likable bike.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Helix - very fancy and expensive titanium thing, utterly useless in daily life (at least until now) due to a total lack of accessories like mudguards or the possibility for luggage transport.

Well, I have a B. but along the way have acquired a Dahon Mu Sport. 8 speed premium Nexus hub (the red band model), all I’ve done to it since I inherited it was to get the combined seatpost/pump though I’ve had no reason to use it so far… Nice machine, rolls smoothly, quite a bit bigger than the B. folded. I’ve added a converter to the head tube mount so I can use my B. bags with it. The pannier rack is still there because I haven’t got round to taking it off yet!

80A7C0C7-8645-447D-A1B8-DEFCC7BA9FF0.jpeg

And if we’re talking recumbents, theoretically my Trice QNT folds (the rear wheel folds under and you can fit various QR levers to crucial parts to rotate or fold them in) but I’ve never done so and the fairing rather precludes it anyway. The Trice did star in Mike Hessay‘s Folding Society blog many years ago, with a demonstration of how it could fit in the back of a Smart car.

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/triceqnt2.html

FF059C39-53A4-4DC5-B4EF-5A3897758545.jpeg

Last edited:
And finally the Moulton AM is not a folder - you would have made Dr Moulton very upset calling it that - he preferred the term “demountable”. Instead it splits in two and by rotating the handlebars, and taking out the seatpost it takes up remarkably little room. I’ve hidden mine in wardrobes and fitted it in a Mazda MX-5. With the two carry bags I’ve got it can slip in easily behind the front seats of any car (provided it has more seats than the MX-5). I’ve ridden thousands of miles on it and hit 56 mph coming off the north side of the Lecht without scaring myself silly. (It’s now got shiny stainless steel mudguards after the original chromoplastic ones decided to self destruct - fortunately only 200m from home, and whilst I was moving at walking pace). If I was forced to keep only one of my steeds, it would be this one - I have had it since 1992.

F6CCE0B6-970A-459C-A71C-7FBF2D7E896F.jpeg

Fastpedaller

As well as a B, I have a Rudge Montague which for a very cheap (pre-owned) bike rides like a regular 26 inch wheel mtb. It folds, though not particularly well unless both wheels are removed. For a 'car boot folder' it is pretty perfect, but I wouldn't want to (attempt to?) take it on a train.
For simplicity I've got it running on a single chainring with 5 sprockets on a shimano freehub

Top Bottom