The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Can't afford a Brompton?

Too fat and heavy muscular and weighty for a Brompton?

Too tall for a Bromp....you get the idea.

A thread for folk to discuss their non Brompton steeds. Their rides, mods, maintenance, anger, despair, whatever.

And to start the ball rolling here's me in best Catalogue Man pose with my ID9.

I'm not necessarily sure that non-Brompton ownership is always about cost...

Before I got my Brompton I deliberately didn't want one as they always looked very old-fashioned to me.

Back in 2009, I hardly saw any that weren't that dull red, dull blue, British Racing green or black. Most had the leather Brooks saddle and the chrome levers.

I tried a couple of small wheeled alternatives - including the Dahon Speed 8 which I thought looked a lot more modern.

I bought a Rabbit.de (a Dahon clone) 26" wheeled bike. This was just to see if it would work for me. Paid a couple of hundred quid IIRC. Quite liked it, but I got knocked off my bike and it got bent out of shape. Driver just farked off and the bike was ruined.

I then bought a Dahon Matrix Lockjaw. At that time they were £900 and a Brompton was not that much more. I don't know exact pricing, but I bought my Brompton in 2015 and it was just over £1,000. The Dahon rode well enough, but the lockjaw system constantly creaked and I had both front a rear wheels rebuilt about 10 times each as the spokes kept coming loose. In the end I had to buy new wheels for it.

The Dahon snapped on the seatpost. I do have a picture somewhere, but no idea where. Was told by Evans that they'd investigate, but it could take months. Wasn't until a long time later I found out the maximum rider and luggage weight was 95kg. At no point when they sold it to me did they mention this and also completely left me high and dry with regard to a replacement as it was during that period when Dahon was either in administration or changing ownership between family members. Evans refused to do anything. I now know I should have pressed them as my contract was with them. But to no avail. I've never used Evans since.

I then bought an older SH non-lockjaw Matrix version to see me through while the other one was off the road. I knew the owner and knew it had done comfortably fewer than 100 miles. This also snapped on the seatpost.

_nc_ohc=eC2qlZpd3D8AX-iqZQg&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

Eventually, by 2015, I thought the newer colours and newer improvements made the Brompton look more attractive and less 1970s. Rode one and really liked it. Hired one for a month just to be sure. Wished I'd done it sooner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Even worse, they only give a measly 7 year warranty on the frame. This is why this particular 125kg rider steers clear, that and the poor ride with such weight aboard.

3788399910_424d6735b2_b.jpg

Now that's out the way perhaps we could stick to the NON Brompton theme?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Even worse, they only give a measly 7 year warranty on the frame. This is why this particular 125kg rider steers clear, that and the poor ride with such weight aboard.

View attachment 683340

Now that's out the way perhaps we could stick to the NON Brompton theme?

Too late - now I am curious what caused the damage here and how did it happen? The bike is 2007 or earlier and I've never seen a damage like that on a Brompton. Normally the seat post alone should avoid a damage like that to happen.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Running some errands on my ebike today got me thinking...

Does anyone use a folder simply because they like folders, rather than because they need a bike that folds? The ID9 is a fast and fun ride in its own right so I thinking I may start using it in rotation with my other bikes rather than solely for train duties.

tinywheels

Über Member
Too late - now I am curious what caused the damage here and how did it happen? The bike is 2007 or earlier and I've never seen a damage like that on a Brompton. Normally the seat post alone should avoid a damage like that to happen.

I'm 106kg.
Ride over all sorts of terrain, jump kerbs etc.
Never had a problem, plus do an 8 mile commute daily.
Fatter folks should not have a problem with the Premier folder.
I'm with Berlinonut, how was the damage caused?
If mine survives being regularly abused,it must have been some trouble to do that.
I guess it's a bonus they sell the frame in parts, you only need to replace the broken bit.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm 106kg.
About the same weight as my lunch!

I'm potentially in the customer base for non-B*omptons ... I won't be commuting with one, but WILL make train/bus-assisted journeys/tours. So fold needed, fast fold less so.
HOWEVER I just don't get along with the B*'s handlebars. I'm a drop-bar bigot, I really don't like flat bars in general, and having rented a B* for a weekend, the "noodly" and just very ... weird feel was very off-putting. I once tried a Dahon D7? (about 12 years ago!) and I think that was quite similar.

Will I just have to suck this up?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

possibly.

there are a few niche drop bar folders, but obviously the drop bars make the folder package bigger.

I had mini bar ends on my Brommie S bars, which at least got your wrists in a road bike position. the other option is custom fit bull horns onto a folder of your choice.

tinywheels

Über Member
I'm potentially in the customer base for non-B*omptons ... I won't be commuting with one, but WILL make train/bus-assisted journeys/tours. So fold needed, fast fold less so.
HOWEVER I just don't get along with the B*'s handlebars. I'm a drop-bar bigot, I really don't like flat bars in general, and having rented a B* for a weekend, the "noodly" and just very ... weird feel was very off-putting. I once tried a Dahon D7? (about 12 years ago!) and I think that was quite similar.

Yep, or buy a unicycle!

Kell

Veteran
You can fit drop bars to a Brompton.

There was a guy on here that had one - resprayed in Celeste Blue like a Bianchi.

But he's not posted for years AFAIK. User name was something like crisscross, but I can't find it to @ him.

I don't think I ever saw how it folded.

You can just about see him on the left as I pass him (at 2:18) in my video of the 2018 BWC.

View: https://youtu.be/8NQoXhKo40c?t=125

Last edited:
Top Bottom