The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I sent him a link to the ID8 on the Halfords website. He said that he is going to go and check one out 'in the flesh'!

I love mine. Its my favourite bike.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I'd want better finishing kit but hey, if someone is doing 2 miles to the station and 2 the other end then it's probably a decent little tool.

Dadam

I'm a smidge under 6'4", 35" i side leg,and it fits me fine, though I doubt anyone taller would have any more extension left on the seat post. I did wonder what they were whittling about.

Must admit quite tempted by one of these for throwing in the car roof box when we go on UK hols; for nipping to the shop etc. Also for the odd train trip with work. I was having a wander at lunchtime last week and popped in the Halfords over the road from the office. They only had the previous Intercity v-brake model in. I had a sit astride it but I had both feet nearly flat on the floor with the saddle at what the sales guy said was the max height. Now either the older model has a shorter seatpost or the Halfords guy was underestimating the max.

For various reasons it looks like I'll be travelling to the UK and elsewhere more in the near future. For various reasons a folding bike will be a handy solution to travelling to and from the airport/railway station, and also for staying mobile in the UK, while being relatively easy to carry on planes and trains.

While I'm sure Brompton's are beautiful and clearly superior in every way, I'm a little cautious about buying a bike that has many non-standard, and I'm inclined to get one that I can get spares locally.

At the moment the likely contenders seem to be Tern or Dahon, but are there any other possibilities?

As mudguards and luggage racks are essential, the best options seem to be:

Tern Node D8
Tern Link D8

Dahon Mariner D8

Are there any other options?

I'd like to add a hub dynamo and lights, but how practical is this on a folder? I know integrated lighting is an option but I'm sticking to the "replacable parts" ethos: if I fit my own system I can also fix it.
On the Tern bikes the front brake is on the "wrong" side of the fork. Does anyone know why this is? Does it affect the bike?
Also, what's the idea behind the "Deltec Cable" on the Dahon? They claim it's to add strength to the bike, and I assume it carries the brake& gear cables. Is this the case?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Theyre all good bikes but utterly and unjustifiably expensive.

Once your in the UK buy an Intercity Disc 9 with hydro discs and an extra gear, fit mudguards and rack, revel in a bike that rides as well or better, then spend the 600+ quid saved something nice.

The only superior attribute of the Brompton is the - superb - fold.

The Deltec cable is claimed to increase appare frame strength and rigidity. However, it's open to question whether it brings any benefit - as has been mited by some testers, the largest stress on the frame is the leverage from those long seat posts but the force there levers at the frame in the opposite direction to the cable tension.

Last edited:
Once your in the UK buy an Intercity Disc 9 with hydro discs and an extra gear, fit mudguards and rack, revel in a bike that rides as well or better, then spend the 600+ quid saved something nice.

That's a fair comment, the Intercity looks a nice bike. Unfortunately due to the Great British Exit customs charges would be fairly heavy on reaching Germany, so I may as well wait until I'm there and buy one of the bikes above.

I'm also a bit fussy about keeping things as simple as possible so I'd want to have a bike with V-Brakes.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
They do the 8 with mechanical discs if one preferred.

And the 600 plus quid saved would pay an awful lot of custom charges, and still leave a few quid left over to slip in the officers top pocket as you slap him playfully on his cheek as your ride through the "nothing to declare" Channel ;)

Top Bottom