Brompton rear battery light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ok...how are you supposed to open the "tool free" battery compartment when the light is bolted to its bracket?

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 20210813_200711.jpg
    20210813_200711.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34

mitchibob

Über Member
If it's like the rechargeable one, it just pops off, however, not that easily, so it doesn't of it's own accord at least.

Tenkaykev

Guru
On the subject of Brompton rear battery lights, I fitted a B+M "2C Permanent Toplight". It comes with an attachment that clips to the saddle rails. The light snaps in to place. It is USB rechargeable. A very good light but on very rough surfaces the light can fall out of the bracket. I've fixed it with a couple of small rubber bands and it's been great ever since.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's like the rechargeable one, it just pops off, however, not that easily, so it doesn't of it's own accord at least.
The rechargeable one wouldn't need to be opened!

The Brilliant Bikes video shows how easy it is to pop the lens off and change the batteries, but that's with the light loose. Bolt it to the bracket on the rear brake bolt, then try to open the clip.

I think I'll ask Brompton.

mitchibob

Über Member
I'm just going from your photo, which looks similar to my rechargeable version, in that the U shaped bit at the bottom of the shot, looks similar, and was not easy to pop off, but did. Then maybe getting to the batteries is easy?

berlinonaut

Veteran
How often do you have to change the batteries? Judging from my experience with the earlier Brompton battery rear light (also from Spanninga) the batteries last several years before they need to be exchanged. Judging from your pic it is possibly an option to open the lid using a tool like i.e. a flat screwdriver. If not it is either two bolts to separate the light from the bracket or one bolt to separate the bracket from the brake bolt holding it. Both ways take less than five minutes. Every couple of years. Not a drama in my eyes.

Kell

Veteran
I have to be honest, I fitted mine the other way up - so the clip was on the top along with the switch.

It just seemed to make more sense.

It was only after quite some time, I realised I'd fitted it upside down and reversed it. :blush:

I'm guessing it should be fitted the way you have it (and I now have it) to stop water ingress.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton never replied.

It's a crap design in another respect: the light bar is at the very bottom where it is likely to be obscured by the mudguard and brake, unless you're fairly close. I saw one being used in daytime (actually the dynamo version) in London last week, and it was indeed obscured from 100 yards behind. I can see why Kell thought it should go the other way up.

Kell

Veteran
That was also part of my rationale - the LED bar seemed to sit too low.

There is some play to get the whole thing to sit higher, but certainly not enough to access the clip, or bring the LED bar up enough to clear the brake.

I use mine purely as a back up to the ones fitted to my saddle and seat post.

Top Bottom