Brompton renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
As far as flats go,, I've had good luck with tubeless tire sealant in lieu of Slime. It's been at least 18 months and none of my bikes have had a flat, not just the Brompton with Marathons. Cafelatex and Orange Seal were the two brands, I think I used. I'd have to agree with Berlinaut in that Marathon Plus are the hardest tires I've dealt with to mount.

u_i

Über Member
Sounds suspiciously like Marathon Plus - the most puncturesafe Brompton tire (apart from the Tannus) but a total pain to mount. And still not totally puncture proof. So IF you catch a puncture underway you are pretty much doomed.

I'd have to agree with Berlinaut in that Marathon Plus are the hardest tires I've dealt with to mount.

Suspicious that the studded Marathon Winter might be getting unfairly left out here, I went and put on a Marathon Plus with bare hands. I had to use levers, though, to take the first bead off. My Pluses are waiting for a travel where I have no resources other than my own wits, while the Winters got used in regular winter commuting. In any case, trying at home, before trying it on the road is highly advised.

shingwell

You could take the view (as I do) that I am unlikely to attempt a roadside puncture repair on my Brompton because with a Brompton and mobile phone it is easy to arrange a rescue by car/train/bus (in normal circumstances anyway).

berlinonaut

Veteran
You could take the view (as I do) that I am unlikely to attempt a roadside puncture repair on my Brompton because with a Brompton and mobile phone it is easy to arrange a rescue by car/train/bus (in normal circumstances anyway).
Don't you have any proud? :laugh: One should always end up a race on his own wheels and, being male, every trip IS a race in the end. 👼

12boy

Guru
I don't enjoy Brompton flat repairs on the road, especially in high wind, snow, rain or a deluge of tiny green toads, but there may be times it would be good to be able to. Perhaps practice a few tire on and offs in your warm and cosy home. Sooner or later you will have to replace those tires. By the way, this is why many of us carry a couple of steel tire irons, some no glue patches, a 15mm wrench to remove axle nuts, a pump or CO2 device and either a 10 mm wrench or have converted the cable clamp bolts to Allen wrenches. If your bike has an IGH you will have to learn how to adjust that as well. With Allens in 3, 4, 5 and 6 mm sizes , the 10 mm wrench, a Quick Link on the chain and the above items you can fix or adjust most things on a Brompton. Other goodies, if you don't already have them, are an 8mm Allen, a chain ring nut tool, a crank puller and a bottom bracket tool for drive train issues, and a spoke wrench for a little wheel truing. I think the QR nut for the seat post is 12mm. If you enjoy a good tipple, some like a bottle or two of brew to enhance the tinkering process.

Top Bottom