Brompton renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well, renovation is probably over-egging it. I got our ancient folder out of storage the other day, pumped up the tyres and gave it a clean. Discovered a broken rear spoke. Of course I had nothing of that length in stock, so had to measure it and order one. In removing the wheel (having worked out how to do so), I found a serious split in the tyre. The front one was also rather worn, so an order for tyres, spoke, and unrelated sundries went off to SJS on Good Friday. They delivered the following Wednesday.

IMG_20200410_155656084~2.jpg

The hub, a Torpedo 3-speed, was a bit rough, so I took it apart (who has a 22mm cone spanner? I had to improvise one), cleaned and regreased the bearings. Reassembled, it ran smoothly.
Fitting the new tyre was difficult. Not only was it tight to fit but it wouldn't seat even at very high pressure. So I removed it, cleaned the inside of the rim thoroughly, replaced the tape as it was displaced, and refitted. After much manipulation and several inflations, it popped into place. I'm not sure I'd want to do a roadside repair.

The next job was to replace the old halogen lamp with an LED. I had an old Inoled which will give a much better beam. It required a different bracket and some bending to get to clear the front bag block. Soldered the wires and sealed in shrink-sleeve.

I didn't have a spare dynamo rear LED, so it would have to be battery. Someone had given me, many years ago, an automatic, rack-fitting one. It fitted perfectly in place of the original. Light & movement sensors activate it. Batteries seem to last forever.

A quick road-test around the town, with a stop to fine-tune the gear change, and it all works. Got to clean the front bag now.

IMG_20200415_144153925_HDR.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Nice to see another oldie receive some attention. What year do you think it is? Looks early 2000’s, (a T3) same age as mine.

I also had trouble getting the tyre on the rim, I’ve since learnt that it’s all down to technique, it is possible to put a tyre on without tyre levers.

View: https://youtu.be/IWY3im2sgFA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I didn't use levers. Just my thumbs. The greatest difficulty was seating the tyre properly after fitting.

12boy

Guru
Pretty much what I learned to do after trashing the bead on a couple of Marathons with steel tire irons except that the stem area goes on last. As in many endeavors, believing it will go on seems necessary to me.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Must be fairly old if it has the brace bar added to the front ; they beefed up the M-bars after that.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I added the brace-bar. It's not a Brompton part but nicked from somewhere else.

Gunk

Guru
Ah right. I thought it was one of the ones they sent out to everyone with the iffy bars.

They look like early handlebars, the finish is raw aluminium, later bars have a mottled finish.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We bought the thing second-hand. I suspected the bars might be the early version, hence fitting the brace.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Fitting the new tyre was difficult. Not only was it tight to fit but it wouldn't seat even at very high pressure. So I removed it, cleaned the inside of the rim thoroughly, replaced the tape as it was displaced, and refitted. After much manipulation and several inflations, it popped into place. I'm not sure I'd want to do a roadside repair.
Sounds suspiciously like Marathon Plus - the most puncturesafe Brompton tire (apart from the Tannus) but a total pain to mount. And still not totally puncture proof. So IF you catch a puncture underway you are pretty much doomed.

Nice to see another oldie receive some attention. What year do you think it is? Looks early 2000’s, (a T3) same age as mine.
Judging from the parts and components it is an MK3 between spring 2002 and end of 2003.
They look like early handlebars, the finish is raw aluminium, later bars have a mottled finish.
The handlebars are fine. This finish remained until roughly 2009. So due to the age of the bike the bars are obviously not the latest ones still they are not a problem and even less with the homemade cross brace. The problematic ones were earlier and they had a different shape.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SWB has a slightly "artisan" braze fillet around the main hinge. LWB is much neater as the hinge is socketed. And, of course, the front part of the frame is a bit longer!

Top Bottom