Brompton Rohloff conversion ordered.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Decision has finally been made, hooray. I've ummed and ahhed over which direction to go for a Rohloff bike. Either a kit for my fixie, a Van Nicholas Ti dream one or B conversion kit from Ben at Kinetics.

I've decided that as I have ridden and got the most use out of my B's over years, that's the one I've chosen. It comes with disc brake options and new stainless steel rear frame it isn't cheap at over £1500 but I feel it's worth the cost considering the price of Rohloff hub.

I wonder how long it'll be before it'll be ready.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Another change of user name in the offing?

Enjoy it. I love the simplicity of the Rohloff on the touring tandem, and was tempted by the Rohloff conversion for Brompton too.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Fitted. I've ridden a few miles around Glasgow city centre which is surprisingly hilly in parts.

1st impressions....LOVE IT....though I will need to either get rid of the grips or H/M bars and put in risers. The Rohloff gear changer is chunky to say the least.

The ability to sequentially change gears is just such a bonus. Need to up the front crankset to 54t, I mistakenly thought that came with the kit and left the 44t on.

Ben is a nice fella and his rep for sometimes being tardy on deliveries has never proven to be true whenever I've used his services.
First impressions are very favourable at this time. Glad I pulled the pin on such an expense.

Photos when I get home.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
image.jpeg
On way home. So easy with a folder like the B. Locked the bag n bike so I can snooze.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Rear only, I've a SON on the front and too end up with front disc and SON is another £800. The rear should suffice to take the speed out of descents.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Rear only, I've a SON on the front and too end up with front disc and SON is another £800. The rear should suffice to take the speed out of descents.

snorri

Legendary Member
his rep for sometimes being tardy on deliveries has never proven to be true whenever I've used his services.
I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you:smile:.
It took a few phone calls for me to keep him going and even then the bike (not a Brompton) wasn't ready for uplift on the appointed day which meant I had to book into a B&B. After suffering several broken spokes on a tour I had to send the hub to another place to get the wheel built properly with the right rim:sad:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you:smile:.
It took a few phone calls for me to keep him going and even then the bike (not a Brompton) wasn't ready for uplift on the appointed day which meant I had to book into a B&B. After suffering several broken spokes on a tour I had to send the hub to another place to get the wheel built properly with the right rim:sad:.
Hmmm, well, tonight I've erm had to get the spokes into tune and true the rim.

The brand spanking new Schwable M+, which I put on by hand only, onto a pre-2013 rim the night before so I didn't need to carry it, was rubbing on the guard. I'd just assumed the stays needed bending a bit, they've needed doing sometimes in the past.
Tonight I had a look and it wasn't seated right in the bead. So I deflated and found an alarming amount of shredded rubber between the tyre and rim. I Carefully removed the tyre, with the original Brompton plastic levers, it was tight to be fair. But using the wave method I got it off with no dramas, only to find the bead showing on a third of the tyre on one side wall. The tyre is farked and in the bin.

I'm going to chillax about it tonight and email him in the morning. He seems a nice enough bloke and I'm sure he'll sort me out a new tyre. It's just overly annoyed me for some reason.

The new frame is really well made and thought out, though the guard stays bolt could do with being 1/2" higher for a bit more clearance on the middle stay. I just took it out and it seems ok and the clearance is good now.
Removing and refitting the wheel is a dream now, QR and undo the click box thumb screw. It's so easy I'll probably run B tyres anyway. The Sun rim looks well, but the box shape requires a little patience when putting on a tyre, but no more than the original B rims.
Overall very very happy, a few niggles but nowt worth really fretting over.

And considering the price of a Rohloff on its own, the kit is a bit of a bargain as the frame is stainless and won't rot through.

Top Bottom