Brompton, Strida & Airnimal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
If anyone feels like writing an assignment on a comparative history of Brompton, Strida and Airnimal (all initially British designed folding cycles), with reference to business economics, I'd be jolly interested to read it.

I've got all three!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think Mark Saunders has already written something similar in respect of the Strida.

(I own 2/3rds of this wacky triumvirate, though my Strida is hors de combat at present - an Airnimal doesn't appeal)

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm more interested in the business side. They are all similar products, i.e. folding bikes designed by British engineers. However, Brompton kept production in the UK, Airnimal subcontracted a Taiwanese company (Pacific Reach, I think) to manufacture their designs, while the originator Strida sold the company, which is now working out of the far east iirc.

What about Moulton? And then there's Saunder's IF Mode which is made by Pacific. And Rob English's work for Bike Friday, though he was production manager, I'm not sure how much design input he had. And Burrows Halfway for Giant. And Sinclair's A-Bike...

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What about Moulton? And then there's Saunder's IF Mode which is made by Pacific. And Rob English's work for Bike Friday, though he was production manager, I'm not sure how much design input he had. And Burrows Halfway for Giant. And Sinclair's A-Bike...

Hadn't considered them. Moulton would be interesting, although he started out a lot earlier. He developed yet another business model: building very high quality, very expensive bikes in relatively small quantities, keeping production in the UK. He also licenced production to Pashley who make slightly more affordable versions. Interestingly, I gather he did not originally want to go down this road. He meant the F-frame (is it?) to be mass produced, but when he sold the rights to Raleigh, they just sat on it. Typical bloody British industry for the time. Serves them right (Raleigh) they lost their place as Britain's favourite bicycle manufacturer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm more interested in the business side. They are all similar products, i.e. folding bikes designed by British engineers. However, Brompton kept production in the UK, Airnimal subcontracted a Taiwanese company (Pacific Reach, I think) to manufacture their designs, while the originator Strida sold the company, which is now working out of the far east iirc.
fairly sure Mr Strida has written and published and lectured on the business side of it all. He's on twitter and generally responds to questions.

Top Bottom