Brompton suspension block and EZ wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doginabag

A few weeks into my Brompton ownership now and very happy with it, but now I am pretty well used to it I am finding some niggles that I would like to improve.

Firstly the suspension block. I ordered it with the firm block and straight away I knew I made the right choice, there was barely any movement at all. But a few weeks in I am now noticing a bit of bounce when peddling hard. I assume its just a case of it softening with use. There are loads of replacement options out there, some simple, some more exotic, some look just like impressive looking tat.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Can it be locked out all together or is it advised to keep a bit of absorbance?

Secondly is the little transport wheels. They are quite frankly useless. Ok on mirror flat surfaces, only just ok mind, the front wheel still catches the ground and turns with something that I am yet to locate just tickling the spokes generate a 'look at me' clicking sound. On anything else, even smooth surfaces with just a ver slight drainage gradient is enough for the mud guard to ground out.

So I'm looking at the larger diameter wheels to replace them with. However, I already find that with the small standard wheel that if I am wearing trousers (as opposed to wearing shorts, not riding in the buff) they sometimes snag on the two wheels at the base of the seat stem, so maybe larger wheels will only make the ride worse?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Have you got a light on the front or the brakes pointing straight forwards to just be catching the spokes and tinkling?

The Ezy Wheels are an improvement over the conical castors but still not a perfect answer, the only way I found to stop the folded front wheel steer is to have the front end raised slightly: seatpost up and use it as a handle for pushing the bike, trolley like, along.

Trousers, before investing in the ezy wheels, I found I'd catch a heel or my trouser hem now and again on the castors, I inverted them so the wider end faced towards the centre of the bike, it had no detriment on standing it up folded or rolling it along but eradicated that irritating occasional catch.
I never once caught myself on the ezys, or if I did they rolled with it and I never noticed.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Have you got a light on the front or the brakes pointing straight forwards to just be catching the spokes and tinkling?

The Ezy Wheels are an improvement over the conical castors but still not a perfect answer, the only way I found to stop the folded front wheel steer is to have the front end raised slightly: seatpost up and use it as a handle for pushing the bike, trolley like, along.

Trousers, before investing in the ezy wheels, I found I'd catch a heel or my trouser hem now and again on the castors, I inverted them so the wider end faced towards the centre of the bike, it had no detriment on standing it up folded or rolling it along but eradicated that irritating occasional catch.
I never once caught myself on the ezys, or if I did they rolled with it and I never noticed.

I found the source of the clicking, it's the gear cable entering the hub.
IMG_20161005_184509.jpg

I'll look at inverting the existing wheels and see how that goes.

Top Bottom