Brompton tool/multitool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I made a tool roll out of a piece of canvas 18"x14" or so. Made pockets for a Lezyne pump, an inner tube, a cut down 15 mm wrench, 3, 4, 5 and 6 mm Allens, some Park tool patches, a steel and a plastic tire iron, a couple of nylon pull-tights and a piece of paper shop towel. I roll it up, tie a shoelace around it and either throw it in my bike bag or fasten it to my saddle loops with a couple of old toe straps. W hen I need the tools, i can lay out the toll roll with all the stuff handy and useable. Put the roll together with fabric glue and then hand stitched critical points. Holds together and was doable with my non-existent sewing skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The Brompton tool is very good quality and fits perfectly, a nice tidy solution. The only thing missing is a chain splitter and tbh I've not needed a chain splitter on a ride, tbh ever, so may be its not missing at all.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
More seriously, the key tools are a decent 15mm spanner and a set of metal tyre levers (assuming Marathon pluses or normals). I wouldn't want to compromise with a multitool.
The Schwalbe logo tyre levers are very good too, fwiw, and are what I carry.

For me, 15mm crescent wrench, Topeak Hexus 16, glueless patch kit, dogbone spanner. All in a Bagaboo tool pouch that lives in my C bag, along with a Topeak Road Morph G pump.

Alternatively, as I remember someone else saying, credit card and the number of a reliable local taxi company.

chris folder

Hi was looking at the brompton tool kit today online do it come with Allen keys? I could not see them as Allen keys are needed for chain pusher, seat clip, gear block, brake pads, if dont come with Allen keys its not a very good multi tool for a brompton:laugh:

chris folder

Ah thats great:okay: I mite have to order one looks great. I could not see Allen keys in picture online I looked at. Its a neat design. is there a allen key to fit chain pusher screws? there very small

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I get around the problem by carrying a spare Brompton .....
Brilliant

chris folder

Hi just seen the price:wacko: the tool kit it definitely over priced. Its worth around £25 I say. just looking at the tools u get is not alot for £45-£48 my bike multi tool has near all same tools if fact its slightly smaller in size but dont fit in bike frame cost under £10

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Got a photo @just_fixed ....

bromptontransport.jpg

The latest version is much tidier, but harder to ride .... but you know, in an emergency ....

11986409_958920544149515_6084359107243245831_n.jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi just seen the price:wacko: the tool kit it definitely over priced. Its worth around £25 I say. just looking at the tools u get is not alot for £45-£48 my bike multi tool has near all same tools if fact its slightly smaller in size but dont fit in bike frame cost under £10

The price is for the design that fits in the frame.
Also, the tools are quality bits of kit.

I have £10-20 multitools sat in my bits bag that never see use because I switch the Brompton kit from bike to bike.

All I've added into the Brompton kit is a couple of glurless patches and I have a small lesrherman tool with pliers on my keyring. Chain splitter I've decided is such a rare luxury for my majority local riding I'll take the hit if my chain goes pop.

Top Bottom