Brompton Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

I've had my Brompton for about 18 months and have had 2 punctures in the rear tyre in the last month. When I changed the inner tube last time, I thoroughly checked the tyre for any objects so as not to re-puncture and it seemed ok so I'm guessing I've just been unlucky.

Anyway, my question is, I have standard Brompton tyres which are supposed to be pretty puncture-proof but I was wondering about changing to Schwabe Marathon or Marathon Plus. The chap at OnYourBike in London said the manufacturer is out of stock at the moment so I'm going to have to wait but he said the Marathon tyres are heavier and less easy running than standard tyres and that the Pluses are even more so. Also, the Pluses are harder to fit.

Has anyone had experience of Marathon and Marathon Pluses? I'm looking for recommendations really - or maybe I should just stick with my standard tyres. I use my bike for commuting to work every day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Get a pair of Marathon pluses as soon as you can - mail order if necessary. The only thing that will puncture them is a six-inch nail or old age. They're a little bit heavier and a little bit slower, but what slows you down in London is traffic lights and traffic, not tyres. In any case, the Brompton isn't a quick bike, it's a workhorse.

M+ are a bit of a nuisance to fit, but you'll only have to do it once. And once you know the trick (squeeze the tyre into the channel in the rim - search online for a useful video) it's a pretty quick operation.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I have used Marathons for many years but am now trying the new Brompton tyres. The original yellow tyres were less susceptible to punctures than the green! Friends who have used Plusses have still had punctures and far more trouble in repairing them! Marathons do create more drag than the Brompton ones, and are heavier, a potential problem if you have to carry the folded bike any distance. To assist in fitting a tight cover, use talc or washing-up liquid on the wheel for the last bit, as a lubricant.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I ended up getting the Marathon ones as that's all that seems to be around at the moment (besides the Kojaks but they don't seem like a good idea). Fitted the rear one last night and rode it this morning - didn't notice much difference in the weight or the ride to be honest... Will definitely bear the pluses in mind for next time though.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been running Marathons on my Brom since I got it so I don't know how the ride compares. Having said that I haven't had any punctures at all despite riding over broken glass and rough off road stuff, and towing heavy trailers.

I can still sprint up to 20+mph in the traffic light run for your life before the BMW catches up grand prix and ride at significantly higher average speeds then Arch.

Don't know if I would upgrade to Marathon Plus as the Marathon has been fine and I am able to fit them without levers.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been running Marathons on my Brom since I got it so I don't know how the ride compares. Having said that I haven't had any punctures at all despite riding over broken glass and rough off road stuff, and towing heavy trailers.

I can still sprint up to 20+mph in the traffic light run for your life before the BMW catches up grand prix and ride at significantly higher average speeds then Arch.

Don't know if I would upgrade to Marathon Plus as the Marathon has been fine and I am able to fit them without levers.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Haha, I've been getting that a lot recently, posts appearing in duplicate and triplicate. Usually I spot it and delete the copies but I must have missed this one. ^_^

Reactions: GM

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had standard brommie tyres when I first got my brommie 8 years ago, and changed to Marathons (not the +) after a couple of visists from the puncture fairy. I found the Marathons grip better so although marginally heavier I found them a better ride and less skittish.

touch wood i haven't had a problem with punctures since, despite ruinning my rear tyre to almost bald until a recent change.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A cautionary tale for anyone thinking of putting Marathon + on a Brommie.

The + tyre has a slightly higher profile which means it can just foul the frame when you tuck the rear wheel under for folding.

I've heard of no problems with ordinary Marathons, and some + tyres seem to fit OK.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
One caveat about my M+ recommendation - I do find that they're a lot more sluggish if they're slightly underinflated. Keep them at or just above 100psi.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've got Marathon tyres on my P6R-X. I've had two rear and no front punctures since mid-2010. One was a snakebite puncture probably caused by not having the tyres at sufficient pressure.

Not sure what caused the other. When they wear out I will put Marathon Plusses on, at least on the rear. It will be worth it if it saves having to get the rear wheel out.

Top Bottom