Bromptons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why do Bromptons constantly hold such a high price?

I fancy a dabble in the folding market and a Brompton would be my first choice as it is British, old school. But they are never cheap.

Steve

AndyRM

XOXO
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the buyer was able to specify pretty much the whole set up of a Brompton build so it follows that they're expensive and there's not much of a second hand market.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The fold is really good, if you use the bike in conjunction with public transport this is really handy. Really neat, and probably still unbeaten (for a practical bike anyway).

mllond

It's just such a clever bike. Fantastic functionality - I have a 9.5 year old L6 (6 gear) model which copes with the supermarket run (fold it up and bung in the trolley, nobody minds at Sainsburys), commutes, hills, the Dunwich Dynamo and a long haul flight (Vancouver via BA). Superfast fold. Marathon Schwalbes mean that my last puncture was in 2012. Compared with a VW Golf, the value stays high but maintenance costs are low! And perhaps tellingly, I have several mates who have contrived to have their Bromptons stolen, all of whom have bought either new or secondhand replacement Bromptons but not any other folder. And if you like personality, well, no contest!

Wolfthing

The chap in the shop where I ordered mine said that one of the reasons they hold their money is because they're still made of steel, whilst other folding bikes are made of aluminium/alloy.

So in years to come they're still pretty much as good as when they were new.

Personally I think it's because they've come up with this great design and then stuck to it without regularly faffing about with it.

It's really difficult to work out if you're looking at one or ten year old Brompton!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They do it all. Currently touring on mine, and it's not caused me any problems. Trains, buses, climbing mountains, it just works. It's not just the best folder I've got, it's the best bike I've got.

A Brompton is a very nicely built bit of kit, you can configure them with all sorts of bells and whistles, which makes them fairly bespoke. That said, I think they are a triumph of style over substance, and personally, I wouldn't want to pay the premium.

Top Bottom