Bromptons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
A Brompton is a very nicely built bit of kit, you can configure them with all sorts of bells and whistles, which makes them fairly bespoke. That said, I think they are a triumph of style over substance, and personally, I wouldn't want to pay the premium.

Jealous? :rolleyes:

Bromptons are incredibly versatile, they can be used for touring, commuting, shopping, excersise, in ways that a lesser folding bike can't quite match.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

Bromptons are incredibly versatile, they can be used for touring, commuting, shopping, excersise, in ways that a lesser folding bike can't quite match.
I think the only caveat I'd pop into that is "if they suit you". I love mine, and I find it incredibly useful and versatile. That said, I'd not want to ride much more than 10 miles on it, given the choice.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A Brompton is a very nicely built bit of kit, you can configure them with all sorts of bells and whistles, which makes them fairly bespoke. That said, I think they are a triumph of style over substance, and personally, I wouldn't want to pay the premium.
A carbon "racing" bike is a very nicely built bit of kit, you can configure them with all sorts of bells and whistles, which makes them fairly bespoke. That said, I think they are a triumph of style over substance, and personally, I wouldn't want to pay the premium.

Yeah really jealous :rolleyes: I've had 3 Bromptons, that I've picked up for a lot less than retail, second hand. They are nice bikes, I wouldn't pay full whack, that would make whoever did a bit of a plank IMHO. Anyone who spec'd this
image.jpg

for example, would need their head read IMO.

Last edited:
A carbon "racing" bike is a very nicely built bit of kit, you can configure them with all sorts of bells and whistles, which makes them fairly bespoke. That said, I think they are a triumph of style over substance, and personally, I wouldn't want to pay the premium.
Good for you. TT bikes aside, I've never had a Carbon "racing" bike personally, only 'sportive' bikes, and one with a C2C type of geometry.

Last edited:
I think the only caveat I'd pop into that is "if they suit you". I love mine, and I find it incredibly useful and versatile. That said, I'd not want to ride much more than 10 miles on it, given the choice.

I can agree with that. I did about 170 miles, in one hit, on a Brompton. That was quite a chore. The rims were Fubar by the time I'd finished, as were my legs:laugh:

the_mikey

Legendary Member

Yes, I agree with that, The Brompton is a triumph of form combined with function, it's a pretty good bicycle too, but it is what it is, and there's always a compromise with every bicycle, the compromises made in the Brompton mostly add to its charm.

If I'm making a journey to the railway station to visit friends / family , the Brompton wins every time.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, I agree with that, The Brompton is a triumph of form combined with function, it's a pretty good bicycle too, but it is what it is, and there's always a compromise with every bicycle, the compromises made in the Brompton mostly add to its charm.

If I'm making a journey to the railway station to visit friends / family , the Brompton wins every time.

Agree with this and @John the Monkey.

I love my Brompton for hacking through town up to a maximum of about 10 miles.

Some riders tour the world on them - not for me - but it is a testament to the quality and versatility of the bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 3539609, member: 259"]I could get a nice new Ti Brommie with all the bits for what we've just paid in annual "road tax" for my wife's car, and have enough left over for a couple of barrels of beer. And I'd be able to sell it for a reasonable price if I got bored with it, too.[/QUOTE]
... unlike the wife ....

the_mikey

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3539609, member: 259"]I could get a nice new Ti Brommie with all the bits for what we've just paid in annual "road tax" for my wife's car, and have enough left over for a couple of barrels of beer. And I'd be able to sell it for a reasonable price if I got bored with it, too.[/QUOTE]

Barrels of beer? You'll be wanting a cargo bike for them... :thumbsup:

Brand X

Bromptons are very overpriced, the gear system is quite clever, but there is no reason a basic Brompton should cost more than £400 and anything over £700 is ridiculous, these days putting a hinge in the middle of a frame is not the cutting-edge of engineering technology but it seems to double or triple the price of folding bikes. It's not that Bromptons are great, the problem is that cheaper folding bikes are poor by comparison.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bromptons are very overpriced, the gear system is quite clever, but there is no reason a basic Brompton should cost more than £400 and anything over £700 is ridiculous, these days putting a hinge in the middle of a frame is not the cutting-edge of engineering technology but it seems to double or triple the price of folding bikes. It's not that Bromptons are great, the problem is that cheaper folding bikes are poor by comparison.
Having just purchased a Brompton it soon becomes clear why they are more than a bike with a hinge and why they command a high price.
It's not a high volume product, it's hand made in the UK, probably 99% of the parts and components are specifically made and designed for it. The fold is unique and incredibly well thought out, way better than any other - all the dirty gubbins on the inside of the fold, the way it locks together, the way it stands by flicking the rear wheel under, you can use it as a shopping cart yadda yadda yadda. As a bike it's very versatile, with use you soon realise it's capabilities, it's ease to travel with, it's load-lugging capabilities. It copes with smooth and roughish terrain. It's a lot of fun to ride, comfortable over distances and surprisingly quick. It has charm.
Other folders are good too, ride well enough, but If other folders were as good, they'd be charging more for them, but they're not.

Top Bottom