Brooks B17 or B17 narrow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@Cycleops
I've contacted the bike shop, they seem to think comparing with my current saddle isn't much use as the brooks is so different. I can sort of see their point. Lets face it, a 200g selle Italia isnt really made for comfort, more for weight! I've never struggled with any saddle in the past though, Ive even had one of those cheap carbon fibre unpadded things on my turbo!

I think I'm after similar dimensions to my current saddle, which is the Swift or the team pro (a bit wider). No problem breaking things in. Although the bike shop said they had all tried the swift and found it didn't break in as much as the B17 or other saddles.

Gut feeling is the team pro. Not too wide.

Chris
Can't comment on the 'Team Pro' as I haven't got one (yet*) but there's only 9mm in it and they're the same price on Brooks' website.

* it will probably be my next one. :becool:

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

still not decided!!!!
anyone any experience of the B15 swallow?
I still cant get to any to test them and need to make a decision for my new Temple bike. The B17 just looks a little too wide and hefty! Can't shake the idea it will be like sitting on a sofa...
Still between B17, Team Pro, Swift and now the B15

B15 looks most similar to my other saddles

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Swallow is potentially the lightest if you go for the titanium version but it's different in construction to all the others,

542850d1273704915-brooks-saddle-zimbale2.jpg
As you can see it has cutaway sides that are riveted together underneath so it behaves differently, riders have been known to overstretch them with the tension nut as they do sag more so they wind the adjuster out to flatten them.

Initially they started producing them again as a limited run of 999 in honey, each numbered with a certificate of authenticity in 2004 then a 2nd run of 999 in black in 2006 before they came back into normal production but the ltd's are different as they have stitching along the bottom edge where the leather has been 'skived' thinner and folded back,

DSCN0134.JPG

Then there was the price, I'm not sure what the list price was for this one of mine but I got it discounted when Alex stopped running 'The Bike Park' in Leicester and paid £200, the 2006 black version was listed by Brooks at £560* before they sold out.

* not a mistype, Five Hundred and Sixty quid and they sold them all.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

They are listed at about £150, but that's the steel chrome version
Again i was comparing my selle Itialia which supports my sit bones and is only 14.5 cm wide. The B17 just seems too big.
Hmmm
Maybe I'll go for the B17 which is what is specced on the bike from new. As it is the cheapest, if isn't right within the first couple of rides I could sell it and go for the swallow to replace. A LOT of good reviews for the swallow though.

I'm basically looking for something that will suit my riding. The new bike is for everyday, some trails and canal paths and a 40 mile commute in the winter. As well as club training rides in the winter. Seems to me the B17 is a bit of a beat and more suited to long touring... I've always had a narrow saddle, hence why I was looking at the B17 narrow or the Team Pro

Chris

Last edited:

nonowt

Über Member
You could always get a used B17 off eBay to try - if you don't like it - resell it. If you like it, keep it or resell it and get a new one.

I have a B17N - I wouldn't want to go wider. I quite fancy trying a Swallow...

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

So, the company mad a mistake. I requested a B17 narrow. It came with a B17. They then sent the B17 narrow so I have both! I like both, but I think the narrownis definately the one for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So, the company mad a mistake. I requested a B17 narrow. It came with a B17. They then sent the B17 narrow so I have both! I like both, but I think the narrownis definately the one for me.
That sounds like a result, you can always flog the one you don't like after a while (they might ask you to send the standard one back, or they might forget) :becool:

Top Bottom