Brooks bar tape, persuade me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, so the Galaxy looks good and I think the Moustache bars will suit me, so I'm thinking about permanent bar tape.

I'm lusting after Brooks, to match the saddle - it's a honey B17. Brooks tape is expensive though. I've looked for the Charge U-bend alternative, but can only see it on Wiggle and it's out of stock. And also, they don't have an honey option. I can wait, but if I want it to match the saddle, it looks like only Brooks will do.... And what's the point of leather/leatherlook tape, if it doesn't match the saddle?

Cyclesense have the Brooks discounted, but by the time you add postage it defeats the discount. CRC have it normal price, post free, and I've been happy with them. I could always ride over to Tadcaster and see if they have it discounted in the shop, or only online....

I need someone to tell me it's good stuff and I won't regret it. I assume it isn't as padded as the gel types, is it worth putting padding under it? I have moustache bars and when I taped them there was plenty left over, so I could accommodate some padding. Any recommendations?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch, you know the answer really. I went through this too but at the price and given that you need another tape underneath there is no justification for it other than it looks good on the bike. It's a bit of bling to cheer you up. Do it if you want to waste spend £30+ for a frivolous treat.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks for that... I think...

Dilemma has been solved via a PM from someone who can get me a discount....;)

It IS bling, I know - so are the gold mudguards, a pair made from some salvaged rear ones, and the Sogreni bell, and the gold Middleburn cable oilers. But I sit here and look at the bike, and think of the memories it holds, and the plans it suggests, and I couldn't do anything else, now that I have some money coming in.

So, padding underneath. I'm really mainly going to be using the straightish bits at the end of the bars, so is it worth extra tape under the whole lot (might make the bars look a bit bulky), or shall I go for some of the gel pads I've seen? Are they any good? I had some Marsas padding before, and it didn't seem to do much,but I think I might have compressed it too much when I taped over it, therefore losing the 'give'...

Young Un

This is good stuff. One pack contains two straight pieces and two curved pieces, so should give you quite a lot of converage of the bars. We use it at work and it is really good stuff, gives nice padding with out making the bars look too bulky, and can also be cat etc to get the perfect fit. It also helps that it is slightly adhievsive meaning you can play with the positioning, but it will then stay their whilst you wrap the tape.

Hope this helps,
Steve

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hi Arch, bike+ have it for £26
23h2kk9.jpg

here's my commutor with it.

Having looked at the galaxy yes it would look really good.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers Topcat! I'm adding bikeplus to my bookmarks!

Someone's offered to get me some cheap, so I'll hang on for a bit. The Galaxy is a slow burning project.... It will look good (that'll be one hell of a careful taping job!)

ASC1951

Guru
atb said:
You just need a Brooks saddle now.
"I'm lusting after Brooks, to match the saddle - it's a honey B17", says Arch.

Do pay attention! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
:smile:

Good question - would anyone spend all that on Brooks tape if they weren't trying to match a Brooks saddle?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Funny, I've been thinking the same thing. Perhaps we both looked at a post on here containing a picture of a bike with matching Brooks saddle and tape?

Anyway, the replacement Moulton needs new tape, and I might go for Brooks (do I know the person who PM'ed you?). I've got a new set of gel pads to go underneath, because the top bits of the old set were the kind of gel that's contained in a bag, and one of the bags that's L-shaped to go on the corners of the bars has burst, so it's leaking silicone jelly stuff.

The straight parts on the hooks of the bars are fine. If you only need straight bits for your moustaches, they might find their way down to York.

Top Bottom