Brooks cambium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
Yes it's textured, like a carradice canvas. I can't see it eating through lycra, it's grippy not abrasive. My Lycra has been on all sorts of saddles with joins, seams and rivets on Brooks and never marked. The only thing I've had eat through lycra is Velcro off seat bags!

stumpy66

Veteran
Aye, I had a Velcro strap ruin a pair of shorts on the first run. Be interested to hear your long term view on the saddle, it's looks great

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
People have had the testers for a year now and I can't find a follow up review anywhere. There's nothing on how they've fared with high miles etc. I'll stick a few miles on it and update this.

If it turns out to be comfy, I'm getting a c15 in black too. Hope this doesn't fall to bits now!

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
When my wife shouts to me from inside the house and asks what I'm doing, I can now reply 'checking my rivets'!
She knows I'm a dirty old perv, this will only strengthen her believe, and possibly the neighbours too:laugh:

I shall check my rivets tomorrow:thumbsup:

Invest in some threadlock Brooks!

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/971683-check-you-cambium-faux-rivets.html
Something from a US forum, about Torx nuts as opposed to rivets being applied to the Cambium, and then coming loose, or not being tightened properly at the factory.

This was a good call. :thumbsup:

Two of mine were only finger tight.

I'd recommend any cambium owners to check. There's zero thread lock on the bolts, they're a t15 head. I've done them all with a dab of my thread lock stick.

Whilst I was doing them, I took the opportunity to turn the C17 rivet around the correct way!

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
It had its first outing today.

Very impressed, so impressed, I'm getting another!

It got a little bit of spring to help with cushioning on the hardtail. The biggest bonus is the canvas cover. It has brushed clean of the dirt that built up on it and it's non slip. Even the Endura Humvees don't slip on it, they're like sitting on ice on a normal Brooks saddle. It does feel like a 95% broken in B17.

Love it!

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
A quick update.

I sat on this all day yesterday. It rained on it continually and it got covered in mud and clay. The cover gets wet but not enough to soak your shorts. The mud has brushed off without leaving any marks on the slate colour, I just baby wiped it after brushing the crud off and it's like new again. The covering is showing no wear yet, surprising considering the muddy grinding paste I was sitting on.

I've always been happy on a b17 but they're not practical on some bikes, they can look a bit sh!te too. This is more comfy than my b17. It was the first big ride I'd done on it and it was like air cushioning. I'm sticking these on every bike, there's a c15 on order and another c17 coming for a new project. The swallow on my Verenti is staying until I can look at the rust colour c17 or they do a honey equivalent.

runner

Guru
I think I'm falling in love with the c15...the more I look at it...the more I read about it...the more I want it and it would look lovely on my stainless steel equilibrium...a special saddle for a special bike. I have been following the sale of a cambium c15 on ebay which is up this Sunday, it is already at £62 so I suspect the price will end around £90...why spend this on a second hand saddle when you can buy a new one for a little extra. It seems to me that if I bought a c15 and did not like (could that really happen?) then I would recoup nearly all my cash on ebay.....it's very tempting....

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
the c15 is like the Swallow. It looks great and is perfect for a more racy setup.

still prefer the c17s for comfort, theyre now on every bike!

stedlocks

Über Member
image.jpg
image.jpg
An update!
I was lucky enough to be one of the original testers.....I put around 6000 Kms on mine, in all weathers, and on various bikes....29er full suss, through to my Hetchins.
I love it.....or should that be 'loved', in the past tense!
Mine developed a lot of sag around the rearmost two rivets.....so I ended up sitting on the rails. Not comfy! I contacted Brooks though and spoke to a real human, first time (do you remember that? Before recorded messages!). I got put through to steve, in the workshop, who said they don't sell new tops......but he would send me out a new one FOC! :0)
He also sent me some new rivets, to tidy it all up.....and I even got to chose the colour! Top service, from England's finest saddle makers :0)
The new top is not as comfy as the old one at the minute.....I have to get the angle right again. I've only put around 400 miles through it, but it definately feels firmer.

New and old, side by side.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why does that saddle need rivets when it's manufactured the modern way using an injection-moulded base with a cover glued on? With a traditional leather saddle the rivets are needed to hold the leather to the frame but here they look like a fashion statement.

I loved the Brooks saddle I had on my Raleigh Roadster back in the 1960s as it had sagged and formed a hammock shape that cupped my sit bones. But I'm afraid my lightweight 2014 roadie would not suit something manufactured with medieval chastity belt technology and weighing as much as a steel and leather chastity belt as well. I'll stick with modern materials that achieve strength through design. My Charge Knife has given me thousands of comfortable miles and still looks and performs like new while weighing very little.

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
its made the same as a leather saddle but with a rubber top not leather.

if they didnt have the rivets theyd not look like a traditional Brooks and be half the cost!

Top Bottom