Brooks Flyer - noisy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

A few months ago I decided to try out a Brooks Flyer on my hybrid bike, having previously had a B17. It was fine at first, but recently had developed a horrible, loud, creaking noise from (I think) the springs. I've tried a bit of oil but it seems to make no difference.

Is this normal for spring saddles, or is there some solution? I won't be heartbroken if I had to sell tbh - the saddle is comfortable but is also as ugly as sin.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

A few months ago I decided to try out a Brooks Flyer on my hybrid bike, having previously had a B17. It was fine at first, but recently had developed a horrible, loud, creaking noise from (I think) the springs. I've tried a bit of oil but it seems to make no difference.

Is this normal for spring saddles, or is there some solution? I won't be heartbroken if I had to sell tbh - the saddle is comfortable but is also as ugly as sin.
*Sprung, not spring

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd try WD40 or similar, mask / protect the leather with something like newspaper or a cloth and then spray the lower ends of the springs where they narrow.

I agree they're not a pretty saddle, but on the right bike they can have a certain appeal!

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Hi, I was a bit imprecise - when I said oil I actually meant wd40. Didn't seem to make any difference though.

The saddle did look nice in the promo photos, but not so much on my rather dull looking hybrid. The B17 suited it much better. Horses for courses.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi, I was a bit imprecise - when I said oil I actually meant wd40. Didn't seem to make any difference though.

The saddle did look nice in the promo photos, but not so much on my rather dull looking hybrid. The B17 suited it much better. Horses for courses.

Ah okay. Spray it some more, soak those springs.

If it's a modern hybrid, a flyer won't suit it. Flyers look good on retro bikes or old bikes, just the way it is!

Reactions: Dwn
Top Bottom