Brooks saddle much softer after a short time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I noticed today after only a few short runs out that things had changed on my saddle. The nose was digging into my private bits more than it had been. when I got home i was surprised that there was quite a lot of give in the centre section and this was maybe why the front was more pronounced.
What i need to know is! do I adjust the tension at this early stage? I had applied the breaking in cream as directed so it looks like the cream had done it`s job.

Thanks

Wocce Racer

A Brooks Professional should start to shape up after around 200-300 miles. B17's have a thinner piece of leather and generally take a little less time.

Get in touch with Brooks as they are one of those firms who have great customer service.

amaferanga

Veteran
You definitely shouldn't need to tension it yet. I'd angle the nose down a tad - it can be difficult to get the angle of a Brooks right just by eye-balling it.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
amaferanga said:
You definitely shouldn't need to tension it yet. I'd angle the nose down a tad - it can be difficult to get the angle of a Brooks right just by eye-balling it.

OK, I dropped it down a notch and it felt a touch better but I`m still surprised after maybe 50 miles just how much give it has in the centre. Don`t get me wrong, it has been comfortable from the word go. I can`t remember ever buying a saddle that I felt quite so at home with. It`s the flyer with rear springs. I read a post on here where the user loved his flyer and said that he was going to invest in a Flyer with rear springs so I jumped on one. some other cyclists in our village cringed at nearly £60 for a saddle but I bet they aint as comfy as me.;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My B17 needs a bit of adjustment from time to time as the leather gives. Don't put too much gunk on it though and never adjust the tension bolt!
My last Brooks only got a bit of gunk top and bottom once a year and it only lasted 25 years!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's not right after such a short time IMO. Mine stayed very firm until it got a soaking from overnight rain and became a useless lump of worthless leather.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
[QUOTE=Fab Foodie;

My B17 needs a bit of adjustment from time to time as the leather gives. Don't put too much gunk on it though and never adjust the tension bolt!
My last Brooks only got a bit of gunk top and bottom once a year and it only lasted 25 years!

Not sure I understand, what other adjustment is there other than the tension nut?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Cow hide isn't made to a precise standard, and your particular saddle could be an unusually pliable bit of skin.
If it's sagging too much, the only things you can do are to wind out the tension bolt a bit, or to drill a few holes in the bottom of the sides and lace them.

Brooks are aware of the variability of leather, and are quite likely to be sympathetic providing that you didn't do something excessive like soak it in neatsfoot oil or whatever.

Fab Foodie

Old timer said:
Fab Foodie; My B17 needs a bit of adjustment from time to time as the leather gives. Don't put too much gunk on it though and never adjust the tension bolt! My last Brooks only got a bit of gunk top and bottom once a year and it only lasted 25 years! Not sure I understand said:
Sorry, I meant adjust the angle of the saddle by a tad.

jay clock

Massive member
My B17 took a long long time to show any visible change in shape. It was comfy, but didn't look different. And that was in spite of me cheating with my patented softening method

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Maybe I`m wrong! but if I don`t do something to tension it up I can see me riding on the undercarriage before too long:biggrin:

I applied the brooks cream to the top once and polished it. I applied the cream to the underneath once and left it on as instructed. It was very taught to begin with and i was slipping around. The bike is stored in a shed (it`s lined and about as good a shed as you would see.) but of course dampness abounds anywhere that there isn`t constant heat.

You can see the crease marks in the two places you would expect them. I weigh in at around 15 stone. My natural instinct is to tension it up a touch. I`ve only done around 300 miles on it.
I can easily push the centre down quite a lot with my thumbs.

Just my luck! I sport out the money for a decent leather saddle and get a piece of shammi leather:wacko:

Fab Foodie

Old timer said:
You can see the crease marks in the two places you would expect them. I weigh in at around 15 stone. My natural instinct is to tension it up a touch. I`ve only done around 300 miles on it.
I can easily push the centre down quite a lot with my thumbs.

Just my luck! I sport out the money for a decent leather saddle and get a piece of shammi leather:wacko:

Well I can push my B17's centre down a bit with my thumbs too, but I don't sit on the centre. My 14st bulk seems to splay the saddle and somehow it supports me. If it's comfortable then it's OK, just adjust the angle every so often as the leather gives. It should be a friend for a very long time.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got a Swift on a second hand bike. Looked brand new, almost unridden, (although clearly treated with Proofide or something) but that definitely needed tension bolt tightening, and quite a bit of it too. It's perfect now.

Some of the mods & accessories that had been put on that bike were bizarre to say the least - so I can't help thinking the previous owner may have slackened the bolt.

Top Bottom