Brooks saddle question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thistler

Veteran
I have been riding with a Brooks B17s flyer on my touring bike. I swapped it over to my new road bike because I can't afford a new saddle at the minute. It is very comfy, though with the springs it looks a bit 'wrong' on a modern road bike.

I have been eyeing up new Brooks saddles thinking that the ones for road bikes must be narrower or something, but the women's Finesse has I believe the same dimensions as my B17s flyer. Is there any reason I shouldn't just continue with the flyer? If a springless saddle would be better, is the main difference between a B17s and Finesse the weight? Cause the plain B17s is a whole lot cheaper....

Thanks for any help!

jann71

Veteran
I think its a B17s i have on my road bike (was on sale in honey).

Theres a thing on the Brooks website which shows the sizes - flyer s and b17s look same size?

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
yes I think they are the same except the flyer has the springs. I am wondering if they will be a hindrance or not....it sure is comfy.

aberal

Guru
Comfy or not, springs will indeed weigh extra, which in truth may not matter hugely unless you are planning on going somewhere fast, but their major drawback is that they absorb your energy. Cycling efficiently is all about power transference from you through the drive train to the rear wheel and to the ground and that's what drives you along. What that means, without getting boringly technical, is that a good part of the effort you are putting into your pedalling gets absorbed into the springs and not transferred into the drive train. It's a drawback and in truth one that you can avoid by getting an equally comfy saddle with no energy wasting sproingy springs. The B17 would do that for you, as would the better looking Swift or Swallow, though they may require some breaking in.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
t their major drawback is that they absorb your energy. Cycling efficiently is all about power transference from you through the drive train to the rear wheel and to the ground and that's what drives you along.

:thumbsup: Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for!!

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
It doesn't look like there is a ladies version of the Swift or the Swallow....or am I looking in the wrong place?

There is a ladies Team Pro and Titanium Finesse, aside from the big rivets and the nice little carving on the side, is there any functional reason (aside from weight) why I should choose them over the B17s? The Team Pro does look cooler but is also about £30 more than the B17s.

PpPete

Legendary Member
IIRC the Finesse is the "Ladies" version of the "Swift" so it will be a little narrower than the B17S

IMO - and for the shape of my particular stern quarters, the Swift is the finest saddle there is, but everyone is different.

aberal

Guru
I can't think that there would be a functional reason over the B17 other than less weight, but they are a lot more modern and do look really good. I tend to think that the B17 is really old fashioned and spoils the look of the bike. But that's a personal preference. I have a Swift and as well as being supremely comfy - it looks great.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Dang. The Finesse is nearly £100 more than the Team Pro. I know over the long term that won't add up to much more per year but unless I get a little windfall soon I think it will have to be the Team Pro.

... springs ... their major drawback is that they absorb your energy. ... What that means .... is that a good part of the effort you are putting into your pedalling gets absorbed into the springs and not transferred into the drive train. ...

I'd like to be convinced that it's that simple. An undamped spring returns any energy not lost as heat for one thing, and then there's the reduced rolling resistance which results from the use of suspension - rudimentary though a sprung saddle might be, it does suspend a big old chunk of sprung weight. And then there's the strong possibility that a sprung saddle might have a positive effect on biomechanical efficiency if it flexes enough to allow the legs to move more easily.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Whatever you do, make sure it's the right width. I have B17s everywhere, and they're comfortable out of the box. My B17 narrow (2cm marrower) is relegated to the Brompton because it doesn't quite suit me.

aberal

Guru
I'd like to be convinced that it's that simple. An undamped spring returns any energy not lost as heat for one thing, and then there's the reduced rolling resistance which results from the use of suspension - rudimentary though a sprung saddle might be, it does suspend a big old chunk of sprung weight. And then there's the strong possibility that a sprung saddle might have a positive effect on biomechanical efficiency if it flexes enough to allow the legs to move more easily.

Hmmmm....I remain to be convinced by your unconvincidness. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Whatever you do, make sure it's the right width. I have B17s everywhere, and they're comfortable out of the box. My B17 narrow (2cm marrower) is relegated to the Brompton because it doesn't quite suit me.
thanks, I am slightly confused as the Brooks website lists the Finesse, Team Pro S and B17s as being 176mm wide, but some other websites list the Finesse and Team Pro S at 170mm. I know 176mm fits me, am I going to be better off with the B17S then?

Top Bottom