Brooks Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I've just been given a Brooks saddle for my fixie, it's in ok condition, whats the best way to clean up the leather? Do it need to soften it at all and whats the nut and bolt for under the front?
Thank you
Gary

ASC1951

Guru
gb-locks said:
I've just been given a Brooks saddle for my fixie, it's in ok condition, whats the best way to clean up the leather?
Saddle soap. TBH I wouldn't bother - riding it will keep it as clean as it needs to be.

Do it need to soften it at all
No. Some Proofide on top, or more likely underneath, if it has been left somewhere very dry, but that is all.

and whats the nut and bolt for under the front?
To tighten the leather up when it sags. Us regular Brooks riders never ever touch that bit.

02GF74

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
To tighten the leather up when it sags. Us regular Brooks riders never ever touch that bit.

why - surely if you ride regularly then the leather will, given enough time and miles strectch so you need to take up the slack?

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
Saddle soap. TBH I wouldn't bother - riding it will keep it as clean as it needs to be.

No. Some Proofide on top, or more likely underneath, if it has been left somewhere very dry, but that is all.

Speak for yourself. Didn't you watch the Brooks video?

BTW, the more you sweat on it, the quicker it will form a shape round your sit-bones.

I performed a 'trick' on my Pro. I cut away the sides and stretched it between the two middle rear rivets and the front rivets. That left the parts immediately in front of the outside rear rivets loose to mold to my backside.

P2010_07-11-09.jpg

Takes a bit of nerve to take a knife to a saddle which cost two months paper round money.
Worth it though.

PS. The white handlegrip in the background belongs to a Moulton Mini. This bike has a Middlemore saddle. Prob the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever sat on.

ASC1951

Guru
02GF74 said:
why - surely if you ride regularly then the leather will, given enough time and miles stretch so you need to take up the slack?
I suppose so, in principle. All I can say is that I have never had to do it, even on a Ti Swift, which is one of their thinner leathers and has done over 20,000 miles. I have a B17 and a Super Pro which are rather thicker and are still pretty much as flat as 35 years ago.

I think you can do a lot of damage to the saddle by unnecessary tightening of the nose bolt; ditto trying various folk remedies to soften the leather.

Going back to the OP, since this saddle is second hand and perhaps slightly adapted to someone else's backside, I would just get a few hundred miles on it before you do start tinkering with it.

Top Bottom