Brooks Saddles In The Rain - Cover Needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
rich p said:
I thought about it but is it worth anything to anyone? I don't think I can be arsed to pack and post it for a few quid. I'd hate to think what MacB's pigeon egg-sized saddle sores would do to itxx(:biggrin:

I'm more concerned that you still think about them at all

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacB said:
I'm more concerned that you still think about them at all

Hmmmm, so am I now you mention it!

what do you think about my re-soaking idea?

MacB

rich p said:
Hmmmm, so am I now you mention it!

what do you think about my re-soaking idea?

That's what I'd try, definitely water rather than oil. Trick is to get the shape and keep it there whilst drying out. I'd need to see how badly it's deformed.

Maybe it was just the sheer length of time you rode in the rain. Mine shows no ill effects after 2 hours in torrential rain.

Will be interested in seeing your progress, as will all Brooks owners I think:biggrin: Coz I'm looking at buying 2 more:ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was a long ride and it also stood in the rain during a couple of cafe stops. The sides have sagged (but are rigid now) so the middle is raised causing the 'lump' to press on the perineum(?)

MacB

rich p said:
It was a long ride and it also stood in the rain during a couple of cafe stops. The sides have sagged (but are rigid now) so the middle is raised causing the 'lump' to press on the perineum(?)

Ah, so mine always has two plastic bags over it when parked up outdoors, I know I'm cheap. Between saddle pack and mudguards the rain really doesn't hit it much when riding. I'd think left in the rain for 5 minutes would give it more moisture than 2 hours of riding. Don't forget that it copes fine with all the sweat from normal riding. Remolding is feasible so is lacing the sides, I'd need to see it. I think you can also send it back to be revitalised but am sure there would be a charge.

If you really don't fancy tackling it I'll give it a go. Maybe not a soaking, from what you've described I'd have thought a small amount of softening oil could do it. What about the seating area, has the leather wrinkled/bunched up or is it still pretty smooth?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacB said:
Ah, so mine always has two plastic bags over it when parked up outdoors, I know I'm cheap. Between saddle pack and mudguards the rain really doesn't hit it much when riding. I'd think left in the rain for 5 minutes would give it more moisture than 2 hours of riding. Don't forget that it copes fine with all the sweat from normal riding. Remolding is feasible so is lacing the sides, I'd need to see it. I think you can also send it back to be revitalised but am sure there would be a charge.

If you really don't fancy tackling it I'll give it a go. Maybe not a soaking, from what you've described I'd have thought a small amount of softening oil could do it. What about the seating area, has the leather wrinkled/bunched up or is it still pretty smooth?

Still as smooth as a baby's bum. I'll give it a go with small amounts first.

MacB

rich p said:
Still as smooth as a baby's bum. I'll give it a go with small amounts first.

fair do's, there's also the tensioning screw but all reports I've read seem to indicate that use of this is a sure fire way to knacker the saddle for ever:biggrin:

bonj2

MacB said:
fair do's, there's also the tensioning screw but all reports I've read seem to indicate that use of this is a sure fire way to knacker the saddle for ever:biggrin:

I've heard that what that does is undo/prevent the effects of 'breaking in'. i.e., if you use it, then it won't 'break in' and shape itself to your arse, and be more like new for a longer period. Only what i've heard mind, that could be totally wrong.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have had mine drenched on a few occasions without problems. I followed the advice of the local cobbler who told me to rub it underneath and above with vaseline which is excellent (according to him) for weatherproofing leather. I also have an old Wrights saddle which seems to loose it's nice dark tan colour when it gets wet but it always returns after cleaning with saddle soap.

Davidc

Guru
MacB said:

The little booklet that goes with the saddles says you should periodically tighten the screw and the care kits have a spanner designed for the job in them. I've never done so and have ridden a couple of B17s for 10s of thousands of miles in the past.

I'm a bit concerned with rich p's experience, as I'm thinking of buying another one at the moment (so I have one for each bike :hyper:).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Davidc said:
The little booklet that goes with the saddles says you should periodically tighten the screw and the care kits have a spanner designed for the job in them. I've never done so and have ridden a couple of B17s for 10s of thousands of miles in the past.

I'm a bit concerned with rich p's experience, as I'm thinking of buying another one at the moment (so I have one for each bike :smile:).

It seems that I'm the only one with the problem so keep it dry is the advice!

MacB

rich p said:
It seems that I'm the only one with the problem so keep it dry is the advice!

but a lot of us have wondered how necessary it is to keep it covered when off the bike. Thankfully there's always one of lifes natural 'crash test dummies' around to help out:biggrin:

yello

My new Brooks B17 Imperial (narrow) arrived yesterday, was duly proofhided top and below, and fitted. It's now pouring with rain. Should I or shouldn't I go out for a ride? ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Had my B17 for about 3 months now and last month I did a couple of 6-8 hr sportive rides in rain (the latter very heavy for 6 hrs :biggrin:) and it seems to have nicely moulded the shape of the saddle to the shape of my sitting bits :wacko:. The times I have been out since, it feels even more comfy :welcome:. I think I might have it 'broken in' now ;)

I do cover the top when it's exposed to the rain, however.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
yello said:
My new Brooks B17 Imperial (narrow) arrived yesterday, was duly proofhided top and below, and fitted. It's now pouring with rain. Should I or shouldn't I go out for a ride? :welcome:
I'd say GO if you want to.

Oh - he's gone already ;)

Top Bottom