Brooks Saddles In The Rain - Cover Needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Davidc said:
I collect the shower caps supplied in hotel room bathrooms (I've also seen them in shops but that involves money). They are ideal for the job when the bike's parked.

+1

Of course I am so cheap that if it rains I also use one as a helmet cover. When I stop the cap comes of the helmet and onto the saddle.

This will soon change. santa doesn´t know it yet but he is bringing me a Gore signature cap:biggrin:

canadiense

I bought my first Brooks a couple of years ago. It is a Champion which I think is a sprung B17. I dutifully applied Proofhide top and bottom and anxiously waited for it to assume the shape of my a** but it didn't seem to be cooperating. After about 1,500 kms it was time for my SE Asia tour and the saddle was still not what I would call comfortable.

This was during the New Year in Thailand and Laos. During that time the main activity is for the children to get anyone and everyone wet. The little ones start out with water pistols and cups of water but as they get older they graduate to hoses and buckets. I am sure you can imagine the looks of joy on the faces of the kids as they see a farang/falang on a touring bike coming toward them. What a target - the best they get to see in some villages in Laos. On highway 13 villages seem to be no more than 10 kms apart and the water starts about 9:00 in the morning and really doesn't taper off until mid afternoon. It is all great fun and there are always lots of smiles and Sabaidee Pimai wishes. Sometimes, you would stop for the small ones to get you wet - now that will get you slaps on the back from doting fathers and smiles from mothers.

All of this is to relate how my Brooks saddle was finally broken in. After this week of new year in Laos, my saddle became very comfortable and did in fact assume my shape. Now, especially when I ride with unpadded shorts, I really notice how comfortable the saddle has become. I still cover it every night in camp and, if it is raining, for breaks during the day.

Im sorry but I have to ask the question - why have a saddle for touring that can be a problem if it gets wet? I have spent many many 10 or 12 hour days cycling in heavy rain and the last thing I need to think about is saddle care at the end of day when its time to put tent up in dark

Ive been leather saddle phobic since my early days cycling on german equivalents and a brooks that i bought because at the time there were not many quality synthetic saddles

Manonabike

Über Member
tyred said:
I have had mine drenched on a few occasions without problems. I followed the advice of the local cobbler who told me to rub it underneath and above with vaseline which is excellent (according to him) for weatherproofing leather. I also have an old Wrights saddle which seems to loose it's nice dark tan colour when it gets wet but it always returns after cleaning with saddle soap.

I have also heard that vaseline is OK to protect leather... as with any leather treatment, don't over do it. The worst thing is to clog the pores.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
psmiffy said:
Im sorry but I have to ask the question - why have a saddle for touring that can be a problem if it gets wet? I have spent many many 10 or 12 hour days cycling in heavy rain and the last thing I need to think about is saddle care at the end of day when its time to put tent up in dark

Ive been leather saddle phobic since my early days cycling on german equivalents and a brooks that i bought because at the time there were not many quality synthetic saddles

+1. Please see my earlier whinges:biggrin:

dragon72

Guru
I've had a Brooks B17 for 6 years and the only bit of care I give it is to slather it in proofide once every six months and buff it off like I would shine a shoe.
I've ridden ridden on it every day since I've had it, and I regularly leave it parked, uncovered, out in the rain while I'm at work.
Never had any problems with the saddle getting wet. In fact, I've never had any probs with the saddle at all. It's blooming comfy.

Greenbank

Über Member
It's a bit of a myth that Brooks saddles can't stand the rain although they obviously need a slight bit more care and consideration than a plastic saddle. My Brooks gets soaked regularly. It sits in the rain every time I play 5-a-side football which usually coincides with a rain shower or, like the other week, an absolute sustained hour long torrential downpour. It got pretty soaked on this year's Bryan Chapman 600 Audax (40 hours) and this year's London-Edinburgh-London Audax (115 hours), both of which involved long periods of torrential rain and the bike sitting outside when I was resting.

The little tub of Proofide you get (or can buy afterwards) does two things. It acts as a slight waterproofing agent (in the week after first applying it water will bead off it rather than soaking in) but its main job is to replace the natural oils that leech out when the saddle gets wet. Too much proofide and it becomes too supple and can stretch. If too much of the natural oils are leeched out then it dries and starts to crack. The middle ground is pretty vast though. It's been more than 6 months since I last applied any Proofide and I've done some pretty horrendously wet Audaxes (Elenith, BCM, LEL, various DIY rides) and daily commuting since then.

It gets wet, it's not a problem. If I'm leaving it outside for a prolonged period then I'll try and remember to put a plastic bag on it, but I sometimes forget, and the saddle is still fine.

As for the tensioning bolt, in normal use you shouldn't need to touch it. If you do (because the saddle has gone slack) then you're looking at about a 1/4 of a turn which will be good for 3 months. The bolt on mine loosens off on its own, I have to put in 2 or 3 complete turns every week or so, but that's because I'm too lazy to find some threadlock to stop it undoing.

I perform preventative maintenance on my chain more often than I do my Brooks.

Manonabike

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
I haven't been through the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that Brooks do a perfectly servicable fitted saddle cover? See:

http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s140p125

The "Medium" one is what you need for a B17, I have one of these for my Brooks Imperial and it hasn't suffered any rain damage so far

I seem to remember reading that Brooks own saddle cover aren't waterproof. If that is the case I don't see the point in buying one.

inaperfectworld

i bought a brooks saddle cover which wasn't waterproof and then found another brooks cover in a shop which is much thicker and coated and is fully waterproof

petenats

Also have a chat with carradice, the makers of the panniers:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/

They make a B17 saddle cover which is waterproof, not sure of the cost or if it's on the website. I picked mine up on a trip to the excellent factory in Nelson. They are incredibly helpful if you phone them up too.

Top Bottom