Brooks saddles restoring tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kins

Über Member
Any of you tried restoring an old brooks?

I took a punt for a tenner on an old late 40s early 50s B15 road saddle. As some of you might have gathered by now, I am a fiddler. TBH got it mainly to see how it went rather than any hope that it would turn out ok.

But so far so good. Spoke to my sister who has been a horsewoman as a job for 30+ years and asked what she did with old dried out tack and what she said has worked so far.

Worried about two things really.

1. the rusty rivets in the leather, any way to treat these without ruining the leather surrounding them?
2. Slight ridge as per the pic that will hopefully smooth out once on the bike and sat on (which isn't ready yet! ) or won't it?

Also what other remedial treatments do you recommend or hints and tips?

8403002537_1a81960b34.jpg
8403003037_40b3849624_z.jpg
8404094532_b3b6947c06_z.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
new rivets can be got from Brooks i think . i would suggest getting some proofide and a set about treating it with it . in the past i have used baby wipes to rub away some of the grime and dirt before treating them to try and get original shade back .

tyred

Legendary Member
Buy some saddle soap to clean and soften the leather. Should be available from any outdoors shops or anywhere else that sells horsey stuff.

A traditional tallow based shaving soap will work as well.

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
I have saddle oil, saddle soap and saddle polish courtesy of my sister. The saddle is soft now including the protective leather piece on the underside. But as the leather has been in that position on the ridge for many years (no idea how long as its a shed find), it is pliable but doesn't stay in position once flattened if that makes sense.

Cheers Biggs, didnt think about replacing them and Brooks website seems pretty cheap.

Manonabike

Über Member
That saddle doesn't look like a B15 AKA Swallow. Probably a B17.

As somebody mention already you can buy the rivets from brooks, in fact you can buy the frame too. They are not cheap.

This place do spare parts for Brooks saddle.

You said the leather is soft..... the leather is not meant to be soft. Ask anyone with a brooks saddle if the leather is soft and they will tell you that it is hard, specially the Brooks Pro.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If the leather is soft, it'll just keep on stretching and stretching until you run out of thread on the tensioner. I had a brooks pro and it definitely was not soft.

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
That saddle doesn't look like a B15 AKA Swallow. Probably a B17.

As somebody mention already you can buy the rivets from brooks, in fact you can buy the frame too. They are not cheap.

This place do spare parts for Brooks saddle.

You said the leather is soft..... the leather is not meant to be soft. Ask anyone with a brooks saddle if the leather is soft and they will tell you that it is hard, specially the Brooks Pro.

It definitely is a Brooks B15 as its stamped on both sides of the saddle and when I sent a pic to Brooks this morning they have replied with spare parts compatible for a B15.

When I said soft, I meant in comparison to leather that has been stuck in a shed for 30 years without any maintenance. Could pretty much break a brick on it when it first arrived! :laugh:

Will stick new rivets on order anyway as they aren't that expensive at £1 or £1.25 each. Cheers for the link Manonabike. Lovely fast email from Brooks, most impressed.

Manonabike

Über Member
It definitely is a Brooks B15 as its stamped on both sides of the saddle and when I sent a pic to Brooks this morning they have replied with spare parts compatible for a B15.

When I said soft, I meant in comparison to leather that has been stuck in a shed for 30 years without any maintenance. Could pretty much break a brick on it when it first arrived! :laugh:

Will stick new rivets on order anyway as they aren't that expensive at £1 or £1.25 each. Cheers for the link Manonabike. Lovely fast email from Brooks, most impressed.

Interesting.... I have 3 modern B15 and none has the holes in the middle, having said that, the B17 has them. :smile: Good to learn that though.

Yes, I have heard that Brooks customer service is spot on. Makes it very attractive for future business.....

fossala

Guru
Interesting.... I have 3 modern B15 and none has the holes in the middle, having said that, the B17 has them. :smile: Good to learn that though.
My guess would be they are "aftermarket" holes. They aren't straight and don't look as clean as holes that are on other brooks saddles. Could just be the age though.

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
The old Brooks B15 are different than modern ones, There are a few different models but general the same outlines. Holes are standard, they dont look straight because of the ridge as per my first post.

Stick Brooks B15 vintage into google images and you'll see em all. Did confuse me for a second without the vintage as the modern ones do look significantly different.

Top Bottom