Brooks saddles restoring tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Thanks, Bill. The B67 is a wide, sprung saddle for a more upright riding position. I have it on a hybrid. I'll just have to see what kind of rivets are available. It looks like it could be hard to get to the underside of the front 3 rivets (on the horn) to install the new ones.

Bill Soens

Über Member
Hi.. Don't do the front ones. Not necessary Cheers. Bill.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think its true that Selle (San Marco) now own Brooks.
I own 5 Brooks (all in use) a B5N,B17S, B17N, Swift and a 2005 Swallow Limited Edition (with certificate)
For a laugh look on Brooks website at the price of a 2007 Swallow LE.

Sterba

Über Member
Brooks saddles are made of Marmite. You either love them or hate them.. When I was a boy my friend Les would ride one day and night for three years and then send it back to Brooks saying it had only lasted three years and they would apologise and send him a new one. These days I get on quite well with Terry leather-covered saddles with some gel under them, but then I am not a purist.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
There are lots of things to be said about brooks saddles but one thing you cannot say about plastics saddles is that brooks saddles can mend themselves. One of the brooks saddles in the family used to have a fair bit of damage after contact with the floor by accident, standard TLC and a few years later you can hardly tell there was damage there. Also, I borrowed a Swallow saddle from my brother and while walking under some trees a broken branch made a shallow cut along the saddle, again, standard TLC and 18 months later the damaged disappeared.

sazzaa

Do many females use Brooks saddles? I thought about buying one but then figured it would probably be less comfortable than a female-specific one with a cutout...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do many females use Brooks saddles? I thought about buying one but then figured it would probably be less comfortable than a female-specific one with a cutout...
Brooks do many female specific saddles but a lot have springs. They do however make a female specific version of the B17 and some of the other more "sporty" models. There are also models with a cut out notably the new Cambium and the B17 Imperial. Info on their website.

sazzaa

Brooks do many female specific saddles but a lot have springs. They do however make a female specific version of the B17 and some of the other more "sporty" models. There are also models with a cut out notably the new Cambium and the B17 Imperial. Info on their website.

I'll go have a look, thanks.

rhm

I restore old leather saddles. That is, I form new leather tops and rivet them on. So my solution to ruined leather is: new leather! I realize that's not what we're talking about here.

But I've had a lot of leather saddles where the leather has reached the end of its useful life, and in my experience there's nothing you can do to rejuvenate it. As it ages, it loses its ability to stretch, and once this is lost, it is prone to cracking and tearing. I've had a saddle rip right in half while I was riding. So while Proofide, wax, neatsfoot oil, etc all have their place in saddle maintenance, their purpose is to preserve the leather, to protect it from water, and in general to slow its deterioration. Too much will make a saddle too soft, allowing the leather to stretch permanently, and then there's really nothing you can do to unstretch it.

On the other hand if you don't treat your saddle and leave it out in the rain repeatedly, the leather will shrink and harden, and then there's nothing you can do to soften it up again. You can soak it in water and soften it temporarily, and reshape it while its wet; but when it dries, it will be hard again. You can rub Proofide and neatsfoot oil into it and soften it up a bit, but you cannot undo whatever damage has been done. If the leather has become brittle, it will remain brittle. In short, whatever you do to your saddle, you can change the rate at which it ages, but you can't make it young again.

Top Bottom