Brooks saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I am considering a Brooks saddle for Christmas, and was wondering if there is any simple exlanation of the different types; i.e. B17, B17N, Team Pro, Swallo, Imperial ...

Any websites I should be looking at ?

Thanks
Andrew

LazyLoki

I'm sure there are sites out there but I expect they'll all go into too much detail and when all's said and done, saddles are about the most personal choice going.

For what it's worth my advice would be to get the B17 if your handlebars are equal to or higher than your saddle - it's wider and so more comfortable with a more upright riding position. If the saddle is higher then get either the Team Pro or the Swallow or swift although I'd probably only recommend the swallow or swift if you're riding a dropped handlebar road bike with your saddle fairly high (both designed as racing saddles so they're pretty narrow).

The imperial saddle is just a B17 with a hole cut out of it to relieve pressure on the nerves. Some people seem less prone to numbness in this area so only you can decide if you need a saddle with a cut out.

weevil

LazyLoki said:
The imperial saddle is just a B17 with a hole cut out of it to relieve pressure on the nerves. Some people seem less prone to numbness in this area so only you can decide if you need a saddle with a cut out.

For what it's worth, I've had problems with numbness when using gel/padded saddles, but not with my B17 (no cutout).

PpPete

Legendary Member
Assuming it's for the Dawes Horizon on your crazyguyonabike page?

Swift/Swallow/TeamPro may be too narrow, and are certainly very expensive.
Maybe a B17N if you ride on the drops a lot, regular B17 if you are more on the hoods.

But there is no hard & fast rule. I have a Swift on my Galaxy at present.

Whatever model you get, the important thing is to ride it until it takes up the shape of your posterior.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have the team pro and the Champion (B17 nicer finish)

The B17 is 1 cm wider

On the saddle, I find that when I ride slowly on the team pro, without putting much weigh on the pedals the team pro gets pretty uncomfortable, having said that, as soon as you put a little pressure on the pedals the saddle works very well. About a month ago I set off very slowly, waiting for my mate to catch up with me and I did about 8 miles like this..... the result was sore butt and a blister :-( I know I don't get this trouble on a normal ride.

B17, I go out with my wife and we take it easy, mainly we ride for the fresh air and I have never had any problems with this saddle, no matter how slowly I ride.

porkypete is quite right when he says "Whatever model you get, the important thing is to ride it until it takes up the shape of your posterior"

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I've just got a B17, and have done about 8 miles on it (not enough to comment really).

Seems fine so far and, as an initial 'feeling', it feels supportive across a large surface area, which (for me) seems to reduce the feeling of 'hot spots' on my sit bones????

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Yes, I have a Dawes Horizon, and the bars are a few inches higher than the saddle, so the B17 looks the way to go ...

Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom