Brooks Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

I have been looking at saddles. Comfort being close to my heart!

I notice that a lot of touring bikes that have been pictured on Cycle Chat seem to have Brooks saddles.

Are they that good? And which model? There are so many and the prices to go with them!!

Any recommends from you experienced tourers?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
sadjack said:
I have been looking at saddles. Comfort being close to my heart!

I notice that a lot of touring bikes that have been pictured on Cycle Chat seem to have Brooks saddles.

Are they that good? And which model? There are so many and the prices to go with them!!

Any recommends from you experienced tourers?

Yes, they are that good. I've paid between thirty and thirty five pounds for mine though I've just acquired one s/h unused for £28 inc postage. There are alternatives to Brooks but having got on with the first one that I fitted, the conversion process for the rest of my cycle fleet didn't take too long.

Brooks B17 is the one to go for. I've fitted four out of five of my bikes with a B17. I've found them comfortable from day one. Other owners reckon on 1000 miles of break in.

Have a chat with spacycles www.spacycles.co.uk who'll have sound advice based upon their extensive experience of serving the cycle touring community.

I've stuck with the Brooks' recommendation of leather treatment i.e. proofhide. Other owners have their own treatment regimes. I thought it best to stick with the authorised unguent.

One tip... I keep a carrier bag tucked into the rails of the seat when touring. I use it to cover the seat overnight to protect it from rain. The odd shower while the bike's parked outside a cafe doesn't seem to harm the seat.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
B17N was the one for me. After the first initial breaking in period of about 500 miles it has been like sitting on your favourite armchair.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm on my second B17 Standard, comfortable straight from the box.
Don't overdo the proofhide...treat 'em mean and they'll last forever!
Oh, and mines on a racing bike...stuff the weight.

Bigtallfatbloke

The saddle on my bike (link to pic in my sig below) is a Brooks B17 Champion in 'Honey' leather with the extra large rivet option. I am very happy with it.

It replaced my two previous saddles both of which caused me immense suffering. As soon as this was fitted I was more comfy. The leather is HARD though and takes time to soften up (mine is still doing so), but it was comfy from out of the box and gets better all the time.
It is heavier than race saddles though but who cares...this is your arse you are talking about.
I also carry a plastic bag stuffed under the saddle for rain protection, and I use the proofride tub from Brookes as well.
As with all saddles the key to comfort is the positioning of the saddle. I spent months adjusting and re adjusting whilst on my rides. I think I have finally got it perfect.

There is no groove like many race saddles have. if the saddle is set correctly then nub nuts syndrome isnt an issue, but it would be nice if Brookes were to offer an saddle with a groove in theri range.

One other thing...it looks great on a racing green bike...well thats what i say anyway!

Another vote for the B17. I've got one on my tourer and it was comfortable from the start, once I'd set it up properly. the nice thing about them is, no matter how comfortable they are when you buy them, they just keep getting better.
The San Marco Rolls is the other make of saddle I use - they're a bit (ok, quite a lot) cheaper than Brooks' saddles.

Abitrary

Considering getting one, but is there anything to be gained from the variations on the B17, eg. the one you can tighten with laces underneath?

Bigtallfatbloke

this is of course the B17 bummer we are talking about..as opposed to the B17 Bomber

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Not sure about that, Arbitrary. My bog standard B17 has provided me with sterling service for the last 15 years or so. I wouldn't bother with anything more complicated. But, as ever, perhaps I'm wrong.

Nope, fair enough, 15 years is good enough for me. I just wondered why they do those ones with the lace up tightening thing, because it makes the base models look as if they go wonky without it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...023050&n=Brooks Saddles B17 Narrow Tie Saddle

Abitrary said:
Considering getting one, but is there anything to be gained from the variations on the B17, eg. the one you can tighten with laces underneath?
Ah, the B17 Laced. Very nice and prevents the inevitable splaying of the wings, if that bothers you. My preference is for the B17 Narrow and I'd echo the advice from Fab Foodie. Proofide *ONCE* top and bottom and then leave it alone. Get a saddle cover from whoever you buy the saddle from (a vote here for Bikeplus, very good on price, excellent service and Paul Smith posts on here, top bloke:thumbsup:( a proper Brooks cover is much nicer than a carrier bag ;) and only a few quid.
Final word:- DO NOT TOUCH THE TENSION BOLT. EVER. SERIOUSLY.

This is half of my collection of brooks, s'pose I like em:biggrin:

DSC00104.jpg

Top Bottom