brooks saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Have the B17 on both my tourers.
Comfortable from day one, did JOGLE on it and I pretty much forget the saddle is even there it's so comfortable.
Older one has completely changed shape to fit me.
+1 on using the wax on a regular basis
As to the price I think they're fantastic value for money given they will last a lifetime.

Hicky

Guru
I've got a B17N, I backed off the nut hopeing to speed the breaking in through it being "less taut".
Doesnt seem to have done anything however it is comfortable(had a little perenium problem at first) so things can only get better....its still rock hard though.

Garz

Squat Member
Ahh, glad there's fellow B17 but still rock hard forumites to share the experience with!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I have a B17 which is comfy and still rock hard. My newer brooks is a Flyer, which is a B17 with springs. The tension bolt is continually undoing (probably because I'm 110kg and my ride can be very bumpy) and the leather is very saggy and soft compared to my B17.
The difference will be because the leather came from different cows, rather than because the B17 generally has a harder top than the Flyer

I have a Team Pro shaped bum. I did a 390 mile ride on a brand new, never before ridden, on Team Pro once (apart from half a mile round the block to check it was at the right angle).
A B17 Std is OK, a Swift was uncomfortable, and a Colt was agonising. Not all Brooks saddles are alike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Another factor to consider when buying brooks is the type of riding you will do.

If you will use it for touring (more sit up position) something like the B17 will be good.If you will be doing lots of fast riding (head down) you might be better off with their racier models.

I got a B17 and its lovely for sit up rides, but a bit of a pain (literally) for head down rides

PpPete

Legendary Member
My new Swift is rock hard.... and more comfy than an old one I have, which was bought second-hand and had been rather over-softened by previous owner.

I think it's worth going to a Spesh dealer to get that measurement done.... it was how I found out that I have narrow sit bones. The guy said I measured 90 (mm presumably) and so I should go for 130mm model rather than 143mm which is the regular one. I tried their Avatar model at 130mm (supposedly one for all-day comfort) and found it better than the Fizik I'd been using previous to that, but still gave me a "numb bum" after a couple of hours.... It was after that that I found narrow Brooks models suited me best.

yello

I personally am not convinced of that Spec tool, not as a means of determining saddle comfort anyway. I'm sure it accurately measures sitbone width it's just that I'm not sure that's the only factor to be considered. Saddle shape is something I think you ought consider too. Praps other factors too.

That's why I reckon that, sadly, trial and error is ultimately going to provide the answer. That said, I also think it important to not give up on a saddle too soon and allow your backside some time to get used to it (if you're confident that you've got it set up in the right position).

I wouldn't want to put this to the test but I reckon I could ride just about any saddle (or at least a greater range of them) purely because I'm more used to hours in the saddle than I was 5 years ago.

For the record, my main saddle is a Brooks but I also ride on a San Marco Rolls, a Selle Italia, Spec Avatar and both Giant and Planet-X own brand.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I must confess that yesterday I removed my B17N from my MTB and replaced it with a WTB SST.

As yello said saddle shape is important and the long downward pointing nose on the SST makes climbing much more comfortable than on the nose of B17N. Also the rear 'corners' of the STT are easier to grip with the inner thigh when 'hanging off' than on a slick B17N.

OP
OP
dobo

dobo

northern monkey
well guys
wish me luck, just purchased a b17 from cyclesense in tadcaster hoping to "break it in before my c2c ride in april. many thks for the input..............

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Lard's Magic Arse/Saddle Measuring Tip :

1. Place tinfoil across a carpeted stair.
2. Sit on it, ensuring your arse is low enough and your torso forward enough to mimic riding.
3. Your sit bones should leave an impression, use this for sizing.

I have a Brooks Swift Titanium but also a Spesh Toupe, both very comfortable and selected using the tinfoil arse technique.

Good Luck.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I am almost ready to take the plunge on a brooks but don't know which one. I was almost ready to go for the B17 but read a review that said if most of your riding is upright then the pressure on the B17 causes the sides to 'flare out' and rub the inside of your legs?

I also looked at the Swift/Swallow as they appear narrower but am not sure if they are intended for sportier riding/racing.

For info my bikes are a Sirrus Elite and a Scott Sportster 55 - both pretty upright and I use both just for fitness and leaisure riding. The Sirrus has a BG saddle on it supplied from new which is very comfortable but I can't find one to buy anywhere from off the shelf. The Scott has a saddle manufactured by Gillette!

Any view folks?

Manonabike

Über Member
I am almost ready to take the plunge on a brooks but don't know which one. I was almost ready to go for the B17 but read a review that said if most of your riding is upright then the pressure on the B17 causes the sides to 'flare out' and rub the inside of your legs?

I also looked at the Swift/Swallow as they appear narrower but am not sure if they are intended for sportier riding/racing.

For info my bikes are a Sirrus Elite and a Scott Sportster 55 - both pretty upright and I use both just for fitness and leaisure riding. The Sirrus has a BG saddle on it supplied from new which is very comfortable but I can't find one to buy anywhere from off the shelf. The Scott has a saddle manufactured by Gillette!

Any view folks?

My wife's bike has a Brooks B67 and for upright position is very comfortable. I had a try on her bike once and it was really comfortable, shame my legs were rather too long for the bike ^_^

B17: Yes the sides do flare out with weight and upright position..... I laced my B17 to stop that with excellent results..... no need to ever use the spanner.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I wnt for a Swift on my Van Nicholas, which is a very versatile saddle. Very comfortable, I can ride all day no bother.

The Swallow was a bit long and narrow for my taste. The B17 is also a good general purpose saddle, I know people who have them on Audax, Pashleys and tourers.

Ultimately, it is all down to how well your sit bones are accommodated by the saddle. If tis is wrong, you won't be comfortable.

Manonabike

Über Member
I personally am not convinced of that Spec tool, not as a means of determining saddle comfort anyway. I'm sure it accurately measures sitbone width it's just that I'm not sure that's the only factor to be considered. Saddle shape is something I think you ought consider too. Praps other factors too.

That's why I reckon that, sadly, trial and error is ultimately going to provide the answer. That said, I also think it important to not give up on a saddle too soon and allow your backside some time to get used to it (if you're confident that you've got it set up in the right position).

I wouldn't want to put this to the test but I reckon I could ride just about any saddle (or at least a greater range of them) purely because I'm more used to hours in the saddle than I was 5 years ago.

For the record, my main saddle is a Brooks but I also ride on a San Marco Rolls, a Selle Italia, Spec Avatar and both Giant and Planet-X own brand.

I had my sitbones measured by such little device once and the only information the device can give you is how far apart the sitbones are.... nothing will be able to tell you that a particular saddle will be comfortable to you. Having said that, knowing the distance of your sitbones then you can concentrate on buying something you have at least have a chance to ride comfortably. For example, I have wanted to buy a B17 narrow..... I now know that would have been a mistake (thanks to the Spec tool)

I'm not sure which is my fav brooks saddle..... sometimes I think it's my Champion B17, other times is my Team Pro..... today is my flyer :tongue: having said that I really think that the swallow could be one of my fav so I must get one at some point ^_^

Top Bottom