Brooks Women’s Saddle Width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I’m considering buying a Brooks B17 S Imperial saddle to go on my touring bike and I’m wondering how comfortable I would find the 176mm width.

My current saddles are 143mm as my sit bones are quite narrow.

Would 176mm chaff?

Are there any ladies who ride with this saddle who could shed a little light on this?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a Brooks B67s. Best thing i ever did was to buy a Brooks. Mine not a specific size. I would hazard a guess that perhaps having a larger size saddle may cause you problems. If you have had your sit bones measured, then i personally would go for a saddle as close to that as you can get.

As far as general comfort is concerned i love my brooks, but i have said before people either love a Brooks or hate them. They are a bit like marmite. ^_^

I would contact Brooks and ask for their oppinion, asking them which saddle would be the best fit after telling them your size.

I would agree about going for something you know is suited your measurements.
I haven't used a B17 but did give a Team Pro a good try but gave up on it. It was fine for riding on the hoods but using the drops was excruciatingly painful due to my anatomical incompatibility with the rock hard front end of the saddle. A Selle Italia Diva sorted out the problem

alicat

Legendary Member
Just go for the B17 Imperial i.e. don't go for the wider S saddle. I think you will find it too wide. I had a B17 on my touring bike and it was fine. I swopped to it from a Finesse (wider S saddle) because I didn't get on with the shape.

Just go for the B17 Imperial i.e. don't go for the wider S saddle. I think you will find it too wide. I had a B17 on my touring bike and it was fine. I swopped to it from a Finesse (wider S saddle) because I didn't get on with the shape.
Did you mean the B17 Narrow (151mm) because I doubt the 1mm difference (176 vs 175) between the S and the Imperial would make a huge difference?

The S I believe means "short", a shorter nose so you don't get your skirts caught up in it. Otherwise the design is much the same.

I've got a B17 S, and my sit bones rest nicely far from the edges. I also have thighs like tree trunk (wobbly tree trunks :biggrin: ), and the saddle doesn't chafe at all. Though if I cycle in jeans too much, the jeans wear holes that clearly indicates they are being rubbed by the saddle.

Some people hate it, some people swear it's as comfortable as a sofa. I find it rock hard and unforgiving - but 200 slow km later, it's still feels exactly the same. I once did 1200km in 4 days, and every part of me hurt, except where the saddle meets the shorts. So I think it's worth giving it a try to see if you get on with it.

alicat

Legendary Member
You're right @jefmcg. I didn't realise there is only a mm difference between the normal and the S. I don't like the S shape (had a couple and not got on with them, perhaps it's the short nose that doesn't allow enough space).

I don't have the Imperial - didn't realise it has a cut out so just ignore me @citybabe.

Top Bottom