Bruised/cracked rib

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
You may have been lucky and ‘merely’ damaged the connective tissue, I’ve done it a few times and whilst very uncomfortable it’s not quite as bad as a broken rib, and the pain doesn’t last as long ... up to a week usually.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
@Julia9054 how’s the rib?
And did the poor bin make a full recovery? :whistle:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Hope you don't get what I had during the healing phase. Every so often the muscles (intercostal?) went into spasm and made the pain a lot worse for about ten seconds at a time.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Fortunately, deep breaths are only uncomfortable and not painful. I think because it is rib number 11 and therefore right at the bottom.
I'm bloody fed up though and the crap weather isn't helping

A bit late to the 'cracked rib' party here.
Sympathies, for the pain, and the wholly unglamorous / non gnarly 🙄 way in which injury was sustained.

But would like to add that concentrating on making deeper exhalations are even more effective for better lung function.

It's much easier to let go of tension, that may contribute to, or even be caused by pain, on the exhalation.

And if you concentrate on emptying the lungs fully (without strain) then your lungs can take a full and fresh inhalation more easily, with very little effort.

This method of breathing is useful, all of the time, in our lives, but particularly useful when we are ill, stressed or injured.

Hope you're staying well Julia, and that the chidders aren't adding to any discomfort

12boy

Guru
I got hit by a car on my bike which cracked several ribs. As others have said they do heal but it takes weeks. As long as they are are only cracked the real problem is pneumonia and the cure for that, as said before, is frequent deep breathing. As painful as that can be it is better than deep, hacking coughs. Get well soon and avoid talking to your wheelie bin. It won't answer you but you will piss it off.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I got hit by a car on my bike which cracked several ribs. As others have said they do heal but it takes weeks. As long as they are are only cracked the real problem is pneumonia and the cure for that, as said before, is frequent deep breathing. As painful as that can be it is better than deep, hacking coughs. Get well soon and avoid talking to your wheelie bin. It won't answer you but you will piss it off.

Plus women who mutter into bins are often seen as a a little odd.. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I am a big fan of the Wim Hof breathing method but have rather lapsed. Would be a good time to get back on it. Great for improving lung capacity and for stress relief.
Did a 6 mile walk in a very snowy Upper Wharfedale today. Fine at the time but hurting now. Worth it for the spectacular views though
received_404537280813213.jpeg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am a big fan of the Wim Hof breathing method but have rather lapsed. Would be a good time to get back on it. Great for improving lung capacity and for stress relief.
Did a 6 mile walk in a very snowy Upper Wharfedale today. Fine at the time but hurting now. Worth it for the spectacular views though

Lovely, good to hear you're feeling better.

You didn't feel the need to sit in an icy lake then ??

Wim nicked all the breathing techniques from us yogis btw :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My sons do all the cold water stuff. I am a wimp and just stick to the breathing.

Very sensible - half my friends seemed to be insisting upon jumping into the sea or frozen lakes right now - utter madness imo .

I'm happy to hold the towels, admire the view, and do the breathing for everyone else ... :smile:

Top Bottom