Bruised/cracked rib

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
I may have broken my rib
8 days ago, I leaned into the wheely bin to retrieve something and felt a sharp cracking, stabbing pain in my lower left rib.
The pain subsided quite quickly and I thought nothing more about it until I was lacing up my walking boots later that day. The waist band of my trousers dug into the spot and made me yell out.
For the next couple of days it was painful to touch but not really a problem.
Since about Wednesday, it really hurts. Movements using the muscles in that area, coughing, laughing, sneezing, turning over at night etc. Normal breathing is ok - i think because it is very low down
My question to the amateur medics and bike crash victims on here is do I need to see a doc given they can't really do anything?
Is it normal to get worse before it gets better?

alicat

Legendary Member
Warning - I'm not a medic. It does sound like a cracked rib. The doc can't do anything re your cracked rib; however, it might be worth asking your GP if your bone density checked if you haven't had it checked recently since that doesn't sound like much of an incident to cause a cracked rib.

Slick

Guru
Obviously the best place to go for medical advice is definitely CC. :okay:
As someone who has been through the wars, I would guess that it's unlikely to be broken, more likely to either be cracked or even just dislocated which can be really painful and from experience, no painkillers can touch until it's back in place.
Definitely call the surgery as there are no medals for stoicism. 👍

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Actual footage for reference.
Can they put a rib back in place or do you just have to wait?
Screenshot_20201224-072836_Samsung Internet.jpg

PK99

Legendary Member
I've had several cracked ribs, the first time from a very pointy elbow playing basketball, doc sympathized and did nothing. 6 weeks later I was pain-free - in the interim sleeping was difficult.

Several other times from bike relayed falls.

The pain pattern is immediate pain, which subsides over a day then comes back steadily and peaks at around day 6. I checked with GP once and that is the expected pattern. Doc recommended a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol - but I've since read that recovery is quicker if you don't suppress the inflamation which is part of the healing process - depends on pain tolerance.

Advice from the doc was only need to see them if clear displacement ie a proper break, not a crack.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I've had several cracked ribs, the first time from a very pointy elbow playing basketball, doc sympathized and did nothing. 6 weeks later I was pain-free - in the interim sleeping was difficult.

Several other times from bike relayed falls.

The pain pattern is immediate pain, which subsides over a day then comes back steadily and peaks at around day 6. I checked with GP once and that is the expected pattern. Doc recommended a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol - but I've since read that recovery is quicker if you don't suppress the inflamation which is part of the healing process - depends on pain tolerance.

Advice from the doc was only need to see them if clear displacement ie a proper break, not a crack.
Thank you. That is helpful. The pain pattern and difficulty sleeping is exactly what I am experiencing. Good to know that appears to be normal.

I cracked a rib last year.
Nothing the medics can do, and at present you won't even get to see one. A telephone consultation is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
It will keep hurting when your movements cause it to move a bit. Nothing you can do. Don't sneeze if possible. Don't take deep breaths. Don't move suddenly or into extended positions.
All good advice in theory, but you have to live your life and you will cause it to give you gyp. It will ease, but can take several weeks. You will learn how far you can push it before it causes problems then suddenly one day you will notice that it isn't hurting anymore.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I cracked a rib whilst trying to be Danny Macaskill on my mountain bike at Whinlatter (zero skills and far too old, what was I thinking!). Adrenaline tends to kick in so not much initial pain but later that day I was struggling so a trip to A&E.
Doctors said it would mend on its own so recommended some pain relief for a week or two and all ok after 5 weeks.
Perfect advice from @Darius_Jedburgh earlier.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I cracked a rib whilst trying to be Danny Macaskill on my mountain bike at Whinlatter (zero skills and far too old, what was I thinking!). Adrenaline tends to kick in so not much initial pain but later that day I was struggling so a trip to A&E.
Doctors said it would mend on its own so recommended some pain relief for a week or two and all ok after 5 weeks.
Perfect advice from @Darius_Jedburgh earlier.
That sounds a far more glamorous way to injure your rib than falling into a sodding wheely bin

PK99

Legendary Member
That sounds a far more glamorous way to injure your rib than falling into a sodding wheely bin

My wife did her's stretching over the central console in the car.
I pulled an intercostal doing heavy leg presses in the gym without a proper warm up.

Gunk

Guru
I fell going up the stairs a couple of years ago and cracked a couple of ribs, it bloody hurts and takes about 6 weeks to heal, you’ll have to sleep on your back for a while and try not to sneeze!

PK99

Legendary Member
I fell going up the stairs a couple of years ago and cracked a couple of ribs, it bloody hurts and takes about 6 weeks to heal, you’ll have to sleep on your back for a while and try not to sneeze!

...and from personal experience do not get a chest infection involving a heavy cough while nursing a cracked rib. If you do, sleep will be a totally alien concept.

Top Bottom