Bruised/cracked rib

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try ice and/or heat packs for pain relief, see which helps more (both may)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Rest, with some decent breathing. Having cracked / snapped six ribs in 2016 it may take some time to heal. Don't do stupid stuff in the mean-time: I rode coast-to-coast a few weeks afterwards which wasn't sensible given I'd also broken my pelvis and done worse damage.

Knowing my luck I'll get sodding covid when I go back to school next week!

Yeah, the last thing you need with a cracked rib is a hacking cough. :eek:

Those wheely bins are tricky suckers, and as you say, very painful around the rib area when leaning in to retrieve your onion skins and potato peelings that you chucked into the wrong bin while under the affluence of incerhol. :crazy:

Slick

Guru
Actual footage for reference.
Can they put a rib back in place or do you just have to wait? View attachment 565563
Yes they can, I have had it done more than once and its a huge relief. Painkillers have rarely worked for me for anything other than a headache but getting that done was a huge relief, although I do still have a sensitive spot on my side apparently from a previous break I knew little about at the time.

PK99

Legendary Member
Oh yes, one other thing, try to breathe deeply through the pain, shallow breathing, while less painful, will not clear the lungs and can lead to a chest infection: You do not want a chest infection.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes they can, I have had it done more than once and its a huge relief. Painkillers have rarely worked for me for anything other than a headache but getting that done was a huge relief, although I do still have a sensitive spot on my side apparently from a previous break I knew little about at the time.

Surely that only applies to a completely broken & displaced rib. There is no manipulation for a simple cracked rib?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Broken mine 3 times now. You leave them unless one is sticking in a lung. When I broke my spine, they didn't bother with right ribs 9,10,11,and 12 which were broken. It hurts just as bad if you break them as tearing the facia (the tissue between ribs).

Advice is take pain killers so you can pen up your lungs, if you can't you risk infection. Co-codamol !!!

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Surely that only applies to a completely broken & displaced rib. There is no manipulation for a simple cracked rib?
Not a cracked rib, a dislocated rib. It's murder if you move the wrong way.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
It is something that you don't want but it isn't the LAST thing. That could be Covid-19 blood clots in the lungs together with a cracked rib and a hacking cough! :eek:

Are the schools still going back despite the new virus variant being on the rampage?

Anyway, heal soon, Julia!
Current government “plan” is that year 11 and year 13 are back in person on 4th January whilst all other years are to be taught remotely for a week. That week gives us plenty of time to set up and staff what will be effectively a field hospital for 2200 staff and students so that they can all be tested. Simples!
Though 7 days is plenty of time for the government to change its mind several times.
If they do change their mind, fully expecting the announcement no earlier than January 3rd

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It will keep hurting when your movements cause it to move a bit. Nothing you can do. Don't sneeze if possible. Don't take deep breaths. Don't move suddenly or into extended positions.
....and for goodness sake, don't laugh!!

Did mine playing football. A few days later I was on an email training course (a good few years ago now) with a bunch of jokers. Most painful working day of many life.

As above, it will hurt until you can't stand it any longer, and wonder if it will ever disappear. And then for a bit longer after that.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
This point is simply wrong.

Deep breaths are essential to clear the lungs fully and lower risk of chest infections.

from: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/broken-or-bruised-ribs/

take 10 slow, deep breaths every hour to help clear your lungs
Fortunately, deep breaths are only uncomfortable and not painful. I think because it is rib number 11 and therefore right at the bottom.
I'm bloody fed up though and the crap weather isn't helping

Top Bottom