BS claims from major makes and suppliers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I couldn't believe this when I read their claim for puncture resistance, especially from a respected brand like Decathlon. This is for their 32 X 700 gravel tyre. Anyone else found similar claims which are a bit of a stretch?

IMG_20230808_103714.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Where is the "stretch" there?

The only actual quantifiable thing there is the compatibility, and that seems very reasonable.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But it does say it 'resists'punctures and shows a little tack. Come on Decathlon, credit your customers with a little intelligence, if it doesn't have proper puncture protection say so or don't mention it, don't expect them to believe this BS.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
But it does say it 'resists'punctures and shows a little tack. Come on Decathlon, credit your customers with a little intelligence, if it doesn't have proper puncture protection say so or don't mention it, don't expect them to believe this BS.

I'm sure it does have a significantly lower puncture risk than slick tyres would have, just because of the extra thickness of rubber over most of the surface.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe I'm too cynical but I can just imagine the meeting where the copywriters were finalising the listing:

CW 1: What other benefits can we give this, it's a cheap tyre with no puncture protection and we all know this is very important to cyclists.?

CW2: I know it's got quite chunky tread, maybe we could claim that it helps prevent punctures? Someone is bound to believe it.

CW1: Brilliant! Let's do it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have the 'Lite' version at 38c and a whopping £19.99. They do the job both on mud and rocks, having ridden a MTB route I do on the FS - I had to dismount when I remembered what one of the descents was - more rider and not having 130mm suspension. Not flatted them yet.

Top Bottom